News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with mini AH Flight Badges

Lee Moore

Hello All

I got this mini badge and two others in a package deal with a Hungarian 1921 badge. Am I wrong or are the crests reversed on this? Is this a reproduction? My guess is that if this one is bad the others may be as well. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Edited by Lee Moore

Hi Lee, Yes the crests are reversed but I believe this reflects the fact that the badges were made in Hungary, as opposed to Austria. They are all OK/authentic in my opinion. I saw these awhile back on the "another forum" and felt they were fine at that time.

Hello Stogieman,

I was hoping I would hear from you on these. I did buy them off that forum. I was mainly after the full size Hungarian badge. I thought the others looked ok when I got them (don?t think the photos show all that well, but they are fairly good quality for the size), but the reversed crests had me a bit confused/concerned. Do you know what the full size Hungarian Pilot badge is referred to as? I have seen it called both a ?1921 Type? and I believe a ?1929 Type?. Not sure if these were official designations or simply collector?s terms. Anyway, good to find you here. I am certain that the membership has and will benefit from your extensive knowledge and assistance.

Thanks,

Lee

In my eyes, the "flipping" of the crests is not someone who is faking awards would think of. I have no physical evidence to back up my feelings, just a common sense gut call that if it was made in Hungary, what proud Hungarian would suborn his own country's crest to the Austrians? ;>)

Now, as an aside, I would not accept an Austrian Badge from any era other than 1920-30 with these wire attachments of the eagle. During 1920-30 Zimbler used a similar attachment, but not prior to this era and all of the badges had a very distinct "mirror" back with very bright fire gilding.

I have read that the Hungarian Monarchy wanted to have a stronger position in the Austro-Hungarian empire in the later war years. The ?flipping? of the crests would certainly make sense if late/post war. Was the first badge (Observer/Aircrew?) badge always made without the eagle being attached separately? I remember reading somewhere that these badges (AH Aviation) were made and worn through the TR period by WWI veterans who also served in the Luftwaffe.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee, the Observer Air Crew Badge was absolutely made right until the bitter end. That would go for the other Imperial Aviation Badges as well however I would submite that by 1940 the demand would have been limited at best. As an example, here's the first badge in full-size, made by F?rster in Wien ca. 1935-45. Note the atypical catch/hinge/pin of this maker as seen on their WW2 badges. This badge is available on our Sales Forum.

<p>

IPB ImageIPB Image