News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about General Polak / Pokay

Djedj

Greetings,

I am trying to find more about an officer successively know as Polàk Johann / Pókay Johann (or János in the Hungarian version).

He was a Hauptmann 1. Classe in IR 65 when he joined the ranks of the Freiwilliger to embark for Mexico in 1864 (with the Rank of Major then).

He served apparently in the Jäger, rising to the rank of Oberstlieutenant in July 1866.

He came back to Europe in 1867, and was reintegrated as a Hauptmann in IR65 in April 1867.

In 1869/1870 he joined the Königlich Ungarsiche Leibgarde.

I understand that he later climbed the steps to gain the rank of Titular Felzeugmeister in 1896.

Now the puzzling question to me is when and why he changed his name ?

A portrait of that man would be fantastic indeed !

Thanks,

Jérôme

Hi Jérôme,

It is unclear to me why he changed his name. He is shown as Hauptmann Johann Pollak of the zweites Pesther Freiwilligen-Infanterie-Bataillon in the 1859 Schematismus and shown as Johann Polak on rejoining Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 65 in 1867. He is shown as Johann Pókay on entering the Königlich ungarsiche Leibgarde in 1869. He commanded Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 34 from 1882 to 1887 and his biography in that history does not mention his change of name. He was born in Pápa, Hungary and joined the insurgent Hungarian Army during the war of 1848/49. Following the Hungarian defeat, he joined Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 20 as a private soldier and there rose to the rank of Oberlieutenant. In 1859 he served sucessively in the Raab-Pressburger and zweites Pesther Freiwilligen-Infanterie-Bataillon, followed by service in Infantry regiments 5 and 65 until leaving for Mexican service in 1864. Promoted to Major in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 5 in 1874 and to Oberstlieutenant and Commandant of the Armee-Schießschule in 1877. In 1877 he became the Reserve-Commandant of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 25 and was promoted to Oberst on 10 November 1881. He bacame a Generalmajor and Commander of the 31. Infanterie-Brigade in 1887. He retired as a Feldmarschallieutenant in 1896.

I think it may be the case that he "Hungarified" his name on joining the Königlich ungarsiche Leibgarde.

Regards

Glenn

Many thanks gents !

That does sound a likely reason for the name change indeed.

I've shown this elsewhere, some time back, but after searching the various lists of officers leaving Austro-Hungarian Service, serving for the Mexican Empire, and joining again Imperial Service, I think I have (at last) identified this gentleman (here thought to be photographed in Puebla) :

Poncho.jpg

As a matter of fact, he did serve with the Ungarische Leibgarde on return to Europe :

ALBComparison.jpg

It took some time !

Cheers,

Jérôme