News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

R.F.R long service medal help!

picked up a nice royal fleet reserve medal and after checking the national archives for more then 2 hours with every combination i could think of i just cant find anything close to his name and or rank! haven't tried ancestry but then dont think they do this type of service papers!

could any one help in trying to trace him down!iv no problem paying for his service record if i just could find it!!!!!the name on the medal is

R.M.A14577(PO.B.41642)W.OWEN.MNE. R.F.R

also not sure which number i use as his service number but i tried both and no luck!!!any help anyone could give me would be great!!!

thanks!! :beer:

Hi - Paddywhack - I think Brian must have moved your post, he's much more clued-up on these things then I am !

I was interested to see this medal - I have just bought a WW2 group to a CPO in the RFR - he left HMS Hood a few months before she was sunk. I will post under medals tomorrow - I didn't want to put it on now as Darrell has another of his excellently researched posts. However, I have been making some enquiries on the strange medal naming and it seems the RFR had their own weird system. Perhaps my extra post will prompt an old RFR to 'pop' out of the woodwork. About stg 50 to 60 for King's Head - stg 80 for Queen's - but probably worth more for a P.O.

i got his record there for his ww1 service and he was HMS Malaya at the battle jutland and he was a gunner so that was cool to find out!havent been able to find his R.F.R service though! can they be got at the national archive?

your hood group sounds great!look forward to seeing it!

i got his record there for his ww1 service and he was HMS Malaya at the battle jutland and he was a gunner so that was cool to find out!havent been able to find his R.F.R service though! can they be got at the national archive?

your hood group sounds great!look forward to seeing it!

If he was Royal Marine Artillery you can probably be fairly sure where he was on the Malaya. The Marines traditionally manned the X and Y turrets (i.e. the ones to towards the stern.)

I'm not sure about R.F.R. records, but I would think at most they would show any call-ups for training, but they might show Second War service.

He got his R.F.R. L.S. in 1930.

how did you find out he got his medal in 1930?cant seem to find his reserve records do the national archive hold it under the fleet reserve section?dont mind even if is just a list of call ups as any paper work is great!:)

thanks for the help with when he got his medal!:)

about the medals funny thing happened when i was looking at his service records, i thought that to save time they had put another mans service records half way down his service records but after looking really close it turns out that the man before owen had such a long service (1915 right through to 45) that thy needed to use his records as he (owen) was discharged in 21 so all his medals entries are they!!!!makes MUCH more sense and gives a much better view of his records!!!! :beer: