News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I believe that roughly 4000-5000 awards were made to Offiziersstellvertreters and Unterzahlmeisters. The "official" number of awards says around 3800 but I think 5000 is more probable. Current value depends on maker and production variant (price ranges from150 EUR to 400 EUR).

Edited by avadski

The vast majority of awards of the MVK 2. Klasse mit der Krone und Schwertern were to Offiziersstellvertreters. Also, besides Unterzahlmeisters, a number of awards to Oberfeuerwerkers, Ober-Musikmeisters, and at least a few to some other oddball ranks like Wallmeister. Also, I think most awards to Zahlmeister-Stellvertreters (Unterzahlmeisters), like other Beamtenstellvertreters, would be "am Bande für Kriegsverdienst".

In the navy, awards to various petty officer ratings, including: Oberbootsmann, Obersteuermann, Oberstückmeister, Marine-Ingenieuroberaspirant, Obermaschinist, Funkentelegraphie-Obermeister, Obermeister, Obermaterialienverwalter, Torpedo-Obermaschinist, Obertorpeder, Oberfeuerwerker, Oberflugmeister, Flugobermechaniker, Bootsmann, Steuermann, Vermessungssteuermann, Marine-Ingenieuraspirant, Maschinist, Torpedo-Steuermann, Torpedo-Maschinist, Torpedo-Mechaniker.

Also, in later years, there were a number of awards to Vizefeldwebels and Vizefeldwebels der Reserve. Presumably these were second awards to those who already had received the 2. Klasse mit Schwertern.

Edited by Dave Danner

Thanks for the info guys!

Here is aquestion for a champion... how many MVK can you find on a bar? I assume 3 or maybe even 4 (although unlikely) are possible?

It's not uncommon to have two MVKs on bar - one on war ribbon and one on ribbon for officials. Biggest extreme I've seen so far was 2 MVKs and 1 MVO on 5 place bar, all with war ribbons.

You could receive multiple awards as you moved up in rank, but - correct me if I'm wrong - you would only wear more than one if:

1. MVK as enlisted and later MVO as officer.

2. Peacetime award and wartime award (Art. XI of the Statutes: "Kriegs- und Friedensdekorationen werden nebeneinander, auch in verschiedenen Klassen, getragen;")

3. Awards with swords from separate wars (Verordnung d. bay. KM, 11.6.15: allowing that "... jene Militär-Verdienstorden und Militär-Verdienstkreuz mit Schwertern, welche vor August 1914 erworben wurden, neben den in diesem Kriege verliehenen Kriegsdekorationen des Militär-Verdienstordens weiter getragen werden dürfen.")

The most MVOs I can remember seeing is on Franz Ritter von Epp. His were from separate conflicts: a 3rd Class with Crown and Swords from World War I (as well as a pinback Officer's Cross later in the war), a 3rd Class with Swords (Knight 1st Class) from the Herero War, and a Knight 2nd Class with Swords from China (no flames).