News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aircrew Star - Opinion

From what I've learned from other collectors the detail looks correct - pebbling behind the lettering looks ok, positioning of the words matches, and the letter "E" looks genuine - I've learned from some collector's websites that that is a good way to tell - on an original the middle dash on the "E" is shorter than the top and bottom dashes whereas with fakes the three dashes on the letter are all the same length. Hopefully someone with more expertise can see more details.

Jeff

Also take a look at the hole in the top of the star where the ring goes through. It should be round, many fakes are more oval than round.

I think there is a post somewhere on the forum dealing with these so perhaps a search for that post would be helpful.

I'd do it but we are hosting a dinner party and snuck away to check the GMIC...priorities you know. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

All of these pointers are important - although for me it is the stippling. Very few of the copies get it evenly - and I - personally - would be having another look at this one. Also, Jeff mentions a shorter cross bar on an 'E'. Most of these are fine - however, the 'E' at the end of Europe does have a shorter cross bar - a little odd ! I also find the overall finish a little 'off putting'. Sorry, but you did ask. Often handling is the best way to determine authenticity - let's see what other members think ?

We've said it before - this is the most highly forged WW2 medal - and at present prices worth their evil efforts.

Here's a couple of posts that may help.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/34119-the-star-medals/page__st__20__p__325706__hl__%2Bair+%2Bcrew+%2Beurope__fromsearch__1#entry325706

I hope I have posted them correctly.

Regards

Brian

Here's a post that may help.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/34119-the-star-medals/page__st__20__p__325706__hl__%2Bair+%2Bcrew+%2Beurope__fromsearch__1#entry325706

There is another one in the same section that you might also check out.

Regards

Brian