News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HOME MADE HILT - OR ?

Looking at this sword I would normally say it was a 'D' pattern British Constabulary pattern hangar - dating from around 1850. However, the hilt is so different that there can only be three possible explanations - a) Grips were changed at the whims of a Chief Constable ? b) The original handle was damaged and someone has gone to considerable trouble to make their own - but look at all the hand scaling ? c) This was made in an overseas country for Military or, police use.

This was amongst photos recently sent from my collection - and to the best of my memory there are no marks. Has anyone ever seen a short sword of this type - with a similar grip ?

It almost looks too good to have been anything but a private purchase as it dosen't really follow what you usually see. Where there swords worn by individuals for personal protection during the 1850s?

Regards

Brian

Brian - to me it has a slightly Italian look ? However, without this hilt I would say British Police for sure. I wouldn't have thought it worth the trouble of making such an elaborate item - you're the expert on materials - would a lot of work have been involved ?

Perhaps someone will recognise it and we will find the design has been taken from the Brit. version ? Certainly that circular finger retainer does not feature in British swords.

Hi Mervyn,

I would think the hilt was cast much like the hilts on some American Civil War bayonets and also British Bandsman's swords. So really the most work would be in "cleaning up" the casting and if it has been plated that would have been done after the cleaning of the cast hilt. Your point regarding the finger ring may well direct us to a European manufacture.

I hope some of the other members familiar with edged weapon will weigh in on this topic.

Regards

Brian

Looking at this sword I would normally say it was a 'D' pattern British Constabulary pattern hangar - dating from around 1850. However, the hilt is so different that there can only be three possible explanations - a) Grips were changed at the whims of a Chief Constable ? b) The original handle was damaged and someone has gone to considerable trouble to make their own - but look at all the hand scaling ? c) This was made in an overseas country for Military or, police use.

This was amongst photos recently sent from my collection - and to the best of my memory there are no marks. Has anyone ever seen a short sword of this type - with a similar grip ?

I have never seen one like it Mervyn. Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen one like it Mervyn. Ian

It's certainly an odd one! Mervyn, what makes you think "British Constabulary"? I would have thought that the blade pattern would be not uncommon - a 'hangar' or 'cutlass' - though the false edge [if that's the term] on the tip might be less usual.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Peter - this was the standard size and shape for Constabulary swords - from the 1750's to about the 1870's. The sword it was originally based on was a civilian sword called the 'Hounslow Hangar'. Being fairly short it could be easily drawn and had a downward swing - Hounslow was a large and very rough are a of parkland in London.

The shape is so typical of the Police swords that it is why I said - apart from the grip - it is to all intents and purposes - Police. But not with this handle....