News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ITALY. Merit medal SCUOLE ITALIANE ALL' ESTERO

Hell all

Could anyone comment on this medal, obviously mounted to be worn by a lady.

It is the silver Merit Medal for teachers in italian schools established in other countries than Italy. This is clear.

The only reference I could find is Franco SCANDALUZI (Ordine equestri, Medagie e Decorazioni italiane 1962) who mentions a BRONZE medal with a RARE grading. The medal shown in the book is a V.E. III type with the facist reverse.

This one is therefore prior to 1923 AND a silver medal. What is still to be established is its relative rarity and all other information which would help to understand its true nature.

Further information will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Hell all

Could anyone comment on this medal, obviously mounted to be worn by a lady.

It is the silver Merit Medal for teachers in italian schools established in other countries than Italy. This is clear.

The only reference I could find is Franco SCANDALUZI (Ordine equestri, Medagie e Decorazioni italiane 1962) who mentions a BRONZE medal with a RARE grading. The medal shown in the book is a V.E. III type with the facist reverse.

This one is therefore prior to 1923 AND a silver medal. What is still to be established is its relative rarity and all other information which would help to understand its true nature.

Further information will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Paul,

My guess is that it is a first type Colonial (or Overseas) Educational Merit Medal issued parallel with the Italian 1919 Educational Merit Medal, the style would suggest it.. It is possible that very few were issued, hence it is not in the reference books or alternatively it is a trial piece, I feel though one has to discount the latter as all Italian trials I have encountered from that period are stamped PROVA.

All the best,

Paul

Tried to do so online research but there really isn't much. Two references - I believe your medal would be the first one - merits - where there is no mention of class. However in the second one, there is a mention of three classes.

Not much help I'm afraid!

Scuole italiane all'estero

Medaglia per meriti nelle scuole italiane all'estero (Regio Decreto ??? 1902)

Medaglia di benemerenza per le scuole italiane all'estero (dal ??? al ???)

(Regio Decreto ??? 1902). Istituita nelle classi d'oro, d'argento e di bronzo.

Tried to do so online research but there really isn't much. Two references - I believe your medal would be the first one - merits - where there is no mention of class. However in the second one, there is a mention of three classes.

Not much help I'm afraid!

Scuole italiane all'estero

Medaglia per meriti nelle scuole italiane all'estero (Regio Decreto ??? 1902)

Medaglia di benemerenza per le scuole italiane all'estero (dal ??? al ???)

(Regio Decreto ??? 1902). Istituita nelle classi d'oro, d'argento e di bronzo.

Thank you both for your helpful answers.

Paul, I had first thought that "all'Estero" meant "in foreign countries". But it could, of course, also mean "overseas". Your suggestion is a great help and makes better sense.

No wonder, you are on the spot, as always. I am very grateful and this definitely wets my appetite.

Jim, I found information through Google, but could not make much of it. It was kind of you to bring this. I just hope we have an Italian collector or connaisseur who will be able to comment on the medal more fully.

The medal has been in my collection for decades and I never really thought about it. It seems time to wake up.

Very best regards to both of you.

Paul

Hello

Coming back to this rather mysterious medal, I just want to mention that is was not discussed in Giuseppe Morittu excellent little book (Meriti e Decorazioni 1839-1945).

It was obviously official but it also seems to have been either rarely awarded or/and generally ignored.

Hope further information turns up some time.

Regards to all.

Veteran