News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great great Grandad James Carter, born 1861

A newer photo has come up of my Great Great Grandad James Carter, just thought I would share it with you. Can you tell me what colors he would have worn in this photo. Actually, anything you can tell me about this pic would be wonderful folks.

Edited by Jeanette

Well someone will either confirm or deny this, but my immediate impression is that we're looking at a gentleman serving in a British "Hussars" Regiment, based on the heavily frogged jacket being worn. The photo was obviously taken overseas and I wouldn't be surrpised if it was taken in India. Sadly cavalry regiments and especially Hussars are noted for not wearing insignia with their uniforms, which makes it hard to identify the unit.

Graham - I agree with you - it does look like Hussars. There is a medal being worn - but can't quite see the shape of the ribbon. I don't remember the original post - must have a look back. Are you still overseas ? Mervyn

p.s. I see he has Musketry - his sabretache has no markings - which is fairly unusual.

Hi Merv - yes still in Saudi. I forgot to mention his Good Conduct Badge i.e. the inverted chevron below his musketry qualification.

Hussar units are terrible to identify and wonder if Jeanette's earlier post has some clues for us, but like yourself I can't remember seeing it.

Well someone will either confirm or deny this, but my immediate impression is that we're looking at a gentleman serving in a British "Hussars" Regiment, based on the heavily frogged jacket being worn. The photo was obviously taken overseas and I wouldn't be surrpised if it was taken in India. Sadly cavalry regiments and especially Hussars are noted for not wearing insignia with their uniforms, which makes it hard to identify the unit.

Hi, I do now know that he was in the 8th Royal Irish Hussars.

Jeanette,

Don't know if this is against GMIC protocol, but here is link to an art firm with a beautiful print of an 8th K.R.I.Hussar in "marching order";-

http://www.art.com/products/p12372641-sa-i1740636/charles-green-8th-the-kings-royal-irish-hussars-a-trooper-in-marching-order-mounted-on-his-horse.htm

What you can't see is the "busby bag" on the other side of his busby which is red, as is the busby plume. In "parade order" a red horse hair(?) plume would also hang from the horses bridle.

Don't be concerned over the colours in regards to your photo, as in sepia, the colour yellow, which is the colour of his jacket frogging, will appear dark in colour.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 11 months later...

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Hi, I don't know if I am posting this correct, but here goes, and bear with me folks, I have a question, take a look at this, My Great Great Grandad James Carter, born 1859, Iden, Sussex, he is on this document, now, I would really like to know if anyone out there can tell me what it means? It has Regimental number of 2083, and then at end of line it is ticked, and a number of 128, does anyone know what this means?. I think the medals were forfeited, but I don't really know for sure, I read somewhere that some medals were sent back and melted?, but I do not know this for sure.I know he was in the 8th royal irish hussars. I have been trying to find more of him, or any mentions of him anywhere, so I need all the expertise to help me!! so HELP!!!. You are all so helpful on here, maybe someone will find something else for me on this.

Kindest Regards

Jeanette Newton.' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

• 2 weeks later...