News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is a strange Saxe Ernestine. Foreign-produced? Never seen this kind of medallion and with the wreath missing.

Awarded to foreigners only without wreath. Very nice & rare piece :jumping:

Is that a Knight 1st class or Commander?

Sincerely

Yankee

This is a strange Saxe Ernestine. Foreign-produced? Never seen this kind of medallion and with the wreath missing.

Most likely French made due to the details of the crown. The cypher makes it an early piece, before 1864 to be certain.

Awarded to foreigners only without wreath. Very nice & rare piece :jumping:

Is that a Knight 1st class or Commander?

Sincerely

Yankee

Thanks for replying guys. It's only 42mm so that would make it a Knight. Is the wrong(?) ribbon contributed to it being foreign-made or perhaps it's correct for bestowal to foreigners?

Mr. Schulze Ising has written an article on this version of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order. Very interesting reading and it seems the ribbon is correct.

http://www.medalnet.net/House_Order_of_Ernestine_for_foreigners.htm

Learned something new today. :cheers:

Edited by RaZpuTiN

Thanks for replying guys. It's only 42mm so that would make it a Knight. Is the wrong(?) ribbon contributed to it being foreign-made or perhaps it's correct for bestowal to foreigners?

Hi RaZpuTin

Thanks for the size, you are correct that would make it a knight. Possible I'm incorrect about the country of manufacture. I know a good many of the early ones were of French make, after taking a really close look I think it is German after all. I think the ribbon should be the same for all.. I just have not seen enough of these to know about a special ribbon for foreigners.

Hi RaZpuTin,

Do you have a photo of the reverse?

A friend of mine is a SEHO expert and is curious about the lack of a 'rosette' on the lower part of the blue ribbon (between Constanter and Fideliter).

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

/Michael

Hi RaZpuTin,

Do you have a photo of the reverse?

A friend of mine is a SEHO expert and is curious about the lack of a 'rosette' on the lower part of the blue ribbon (between Constanter and Fideliter).

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

/Michael

I will fix a picture of the back, though it will take a couple days.

/Christian