News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all

Can i ask for some advice. I have been offered a K98 bayonet which looks very nice, matching no's etc with a frog but the handle is red not black. I am very new to collecting and unsure if this is normal or not. Is a red handle a specific maker ?

Thanks, darren in the UK

hi i havent as its a member selling it and i dont want to upset him

Hi Betty,

If it's from a member then there should be no problem. We hold ourselves to very high standards here. I'm sure if you ask him he'll be happy to let you post pictures of the bayo in question.

As far as the grips... what you describe are bakelite grips. Bakelite was an early form of plastic used in many items... telephones, radios, jewelry... you name it. If you go to a search engine and type in bakelite then go to images you'll see tons of different items made from this material.

Re: K98 bayonets... grips were made in wood, black plastic, stag horn and ivory on custom ordered pieces such as dress or presentation bayonets) as well as bakelite which were in shades of red. Here's a couple of pics of same... I'm assuming this is the same type you are looking at:

These are perfectly legit. They started to use bakelite on these around 1937 - 1938 I believe.

Hope this helps. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

hi

thank you for the post. it is exactly this type pf bayonet in the picture. you have put my mind at rest

darren

Hi Betty,

If it's from a member then there should be no problem. We hold ourselves to very high standards here. I'm sure if you ask him he'll be happy to let you post pictures of the bayo in question.

As far as the grips... what you describe are bakelite grips. Bakelite was an early form of plastic used in many items... telephones, radios, jewelry... you name it. If you go to a search engine and type in bakelite then go to images you'll see tons of different items made from this material.

Re: K98 bayonets... grips were made in wood, black plastic, stag horn and ivory on custom ordered pieces such as dress or presentation bayonets) as well as bakelite which were in shades of red. Here's a couple of pics of same... I'm assuming this is the same type you are looking at:

These are perfectly legit. They started to use bakelite on these around 1937 - 1938 I believe.

Hope this helps. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif