News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Mint Produced WWII American Campaign Medal

Tim B

I need some quick assistance in verifying a medal that I received today.

I have several WWII campaign medals from various manufacturers and have noticed the US Mint produced examples have a slightly thicker planchet when compared to other makers.

Today, I received a nice looking American Campaign Medal in the US Mint issued box and the medal planchet is thinner than I expected and thinner when compared to the US Mint Asiatic-Pacific and EAME medals I have already. The suspension ribbon is shorter as I would expect on the Mint produced medals, but I need to know if the medal planchet is correct here.

Do all US Mint WW2 Campaign Medals have a thicker planchet? IF anyone has one available, can you either take a measurement of the thinkness or possibly post a comparison PIC of one next to another manufacturer like the example PIC below?

Thank you,

Tim

Here's a comparison of a Mint produced vs Medallic Art Company (Asiatic-Pacific) example and you can see the difference in the planchet.

• 2 weeks later...

Got talking to Jeff Floyd the other day on why these American Theatre Campaign Medals might not be as thick as the other campaign medals the US Mint produced and wondered if it had to do with the overall design.

Both the Asiatic-Pacific and European-African-Middle-Eastern (EAME) campaign medals have obverse designs that carry across and off the edges of the medal planchet. Perhaps the blank planchet had to be thicker in order for the strike to remain sharply detailed to the very edge without cracking or breaking the planchet?

The American Theatre Campaign has a more centrally located design and the edges sort of taper off. As Jeff had mentioned, the miniscule amount of metal saved would be hardly of significance, until we start talking about the millons of medals produced and manufacturers would have to take things like this into account, even the US Mint.

Only a guess here. Anyway, here's some more comparisons to look at. An EAME Campaign Medal comparison showing the US Mint planchet on the bottom and a Medallic Art Company example on top.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Here's a comparison between the US Mint produced American Theatre Campaign Medal (bottom) and one produced by the Heckethorn Company. You can see some slight difference in thickness but, not much.

Tim

On the EAME medals, I didn't notice any difference in thickness between the earlier strikes (with the slot brooch) and the later strikes (with crimp brooch) but, I can see a difference in sharpness of the strike. As these medals were hand finished using a pumice stone and hand polishing, it could be attributed to changes in the process along the way.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I was told that the mint produced medals were for the Navy. I don't know if this is true. Cheers Captain Albert

Hi,

Yes, the US Mint did originally hold the contract for the Navy/Marine Corp's decorations and campaign/service medals. Just when that contract ended exactly I don't know but, many medals produced under contract continued to be issued even up till the Viet Nam era.

Tim

Thanks guys!

I have considered starting a series on these American Medals, similar to what Gordon Williamson did in the Japanese section with the various medals. I found those threads very interesting and quite helpful as I started collecting in that area.

Not sure how much interest it would draw here, as I know there is a mix of collectors. Some extremely knowledgeable members would probably be bored silly with such a series of topics but then again, with many international members, perhaps some would find the information useful and enjoy such a series.

Thoughts?

Tim

Correct, the Mint produced medals for the Navy and some USCG issues as well. I think obverse design theory is quite valid and if JEff suggested it more correct than mine; is there the possibility the Navy used some Army contract planchets on their ribbon drape set ups and issued in their US Mint boxes in a similar manner they used Army PHs?

It would be an interesting study to determine the nuances of the Army contract vice US Mint strikes in comparison...and if the same differences present themselves on all US Mint Navy versions that do not present on Army contract strikes...as a means to determine Navy vice Army strikes when there is no obvious evidence

Edited by Sal

I have considered starting a series on these American Medals, similar to what Gordon Williamson did in the Japanese section with the various medals. I found those threads very interesting and quite helpful as I started collecting in that area.

I have been thinking of collecting some of these (and ribbon bars with devices), but do not know enough about them, so a series on these medals would be very interesting for me.

Steve

Edited by Rayjin

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely worth setting up a a topic about US medals and the various strikings, brooch mounts etc. I have a number of US medals in my collection from WW1 and 2 and have found it an interesting area to collect and not that expensive in terms of medal costs although the earlier original struck medals especially Purple Hearts and WW1 Victorys with bars are more expensive. I have 2 Bronze stars and a silver star with original slotted brooch mountings and the EAME, American Campaign plus just recently acquired a pacific Campaign medal.

Okay guys,

Give me a few days to get what I have together. I really need to discuss some of this with Jeff Floyd beforehand, as he head's this section, and I am still missing some early examples that others may need to add input.

Will probably just start a series of threads with one devoted to each specific medal and we can add to each as time goes on.

Tim

Sounds good Tim. I have received my Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal today. Would love to post a picture but my camera is no more and i have to buy a replacement? However the pacific medal is a 12mm crimped brooch with flat suspender hub. Color is somewhere between the 2 shown above and great detail. Once I have a new camera will post for comparison as well as the campaign and EAME.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm sorry but, I have made a decision today to leave this forum for personal reasons that don't need discussion. I was very excited to work with Jeff here to start this series of threads on US Medals as it's pretty dead here on information. Someone else will have to take up the torch! I'll be continuing my efforts on the USMF and WAF forums.

Much appreciated for the kind words, answers, and friendship over the years. Take care,

Tim :cheers: