News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I suspect Colonial, maybe Boxer Rebellion? Or I may be tooooootally wrong.

Notice the one cockade.

The Photo was taken in San Francisco.

I also thought theater, but the Spiess way of carrying the book makes me doubt that...

Not sure, Chris, but my guess would be, if he's German, it's pre-1897 when the Reichs-Kokarde was added. With the cross belt, my first thought is he might be a dragoon.

And another strange one.... check out the left sleeves of the men flanking the Clergyman???

I don't think those are strange left sleeves. On both men I think I think I can see the top edge of what would be an arm band. I think those are arm bands, in the same color, or at least in a color that shows up as the same color as the uniform. If there are any markings on them, it is facing away from the camera.

Good eye Claudius! That's exactly what they are. Perhaps they are yellow and that is why they appear so dark. I have one yellow imperial armband in my collection, so they did use it. I even think there was an armband for clergy helpers that was purple!

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 5 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

While one will occasionally see images of foreign soldiers taken in the United States, the chances of a German soldier ending up in San Francisco are incredibly low. While the uniform wouldn't be correct for the "Black Hussars," a San Francisco militia unit at the time, or any other militia units I'm aware of, I beleive this image is of an American militiaman.

http://www.militarymuseum.org/BlackHussars.html

http://www.militarymuseum.org/SacramentoHussars.html

Especially with the repeated references to equipment being "procured in New York," I suspect these uniforms were from Bannerman's famous surplus company, which undoubtedly occasionally sold European uniforms (or replicas thereof). I picked up at 1927 Bannerman's catalog from the library to take a look. (You would think the National Archives repository, focused on military items, located only miles from Bannerman's Island, would have all of th eBannerman's catalogs, but they just aren't here. I think it may be because Bannerman's was always a militia and Guard supplier, and the library staff here disliked Bannerman as much as the rest of the staff must have.)

TTFN,

~TS

Good eye Claudius! That's exactly what they are. Perhaps they are yellow and that is why they appear so dark. I have one yellow imperial armband in my collection, so they did use it. I even think there was an armband for clergy helpers that was purple!

Chip

A yellow armband was worn by Zivilarbeiter, but not by German soldiers. I think a purple one for clergy helpers may be more probable (if they existed, I haven't read anything about these yet).