News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CRANBERRY GLASS

This is the reddish glass that you often see in antique shops - very often in beautiful shapes and colours.

Not a modern discovery - the Romans had a means to make a red glass - however, the secret was lost hundreds of year's ago. An Italian - Antonio Neni is credited with re-discovering the process in 1612 when he added some gold to molten glass. Needless to say - there is some arguement on whether he was the first ?

To create Ruby or, Cranberry glass is technically very difficult and can involve whole teams of people - make a mistake and you have an expensive sludge. Basically, gold chloride in various strengths and combinations are added to the glass - and this gives the lovely red richness to the glass.

The 19th Century was particularly popular for Cranberry - the Victorians used it in many different forms , from table centrepieces to small vases and jewel boxes. For some reason it was very popular in Canada and a factory was established there. Pieces from this source tend not to be so collectable. There was also a revival of interest in the 1920's and this has continued. Later pieces are not necessarily less desired or a great deal cheaper - but it would be true to say that quality Victorian items have preference.

Cranberry glass is usually moulded or, handblown. When this last method is used you will see on the base the area where it has been broken off from the blowing rod. This should have been filed down. This roughened area is called the PONTIL.

I will show one or, two examples and please feel free to post photos and ask questions of our Panel.

This first piece dates from about 1900/1910 and was intended as a sugar bowl. Nowdays, it would be used for many other purposes - including holding cream , sweets etc..

This is a lovely matching pair of small decanters - approx. 11inches tall (27cm). They have a pair of small cranberry glasses with them and were probably intended for holding a liquour. They date from around the 1870's and as a pair are quite rare.

Beautiful pieces. My mother collected colored glass. Mainly "depression-era" pieces. I call the Carnival glass -poor man's Tiffany. The Pressed glass from the 1930-40s doesn't have the same dignity as your Victorian items, but they were available and cheaper for her to collect. I'm seeing more and more of the pieces in my house as my mother has been gifting pieces to my wife on birthdays/Christmases.