News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH MIDSHIPMAN'S DIRK

Mervyn Mitton

Having existed as a Service for so many centuries , it is not surprising that the British Royal Navy has so many variations in ranks, uniforms and equipment.

In the very early days - for example the 14th Century - the Captain and crew were professional sailors, responsible for sailing the ship. However, the soldiers who fought on her were in charge and gave the orders. By the 17th C. the running of a man-of-war had a more followed order and a ranking of commissioned officers, warrant officers, petty officers - and of course the crew.

Ships in the early days always had 'ship's boys' to help on board and carry gun powder in action. There was another tier of youngsters above them - but, again from as young as 12 years - they were called Midshipmen . They were rated as senior

petty officers, but only paid as able seamen. Although they had their own Mess, they were not officers - really just being trained to sit and pass the Lieutenants examination - then they became sub-Lieutenants. The big difference was that they were graded as Gentlemen and could therefore be treated as such. They were entitled to wear a sword - however, most of them were too small and so the Dirk came into being.

Naval Officers' requested King George 2nd. to grant them a standardised uniform and this happened in 1748 - the young

Gentlemen - as Midshipmen were often called were also given a first uniform. Probably from this time the wearing of a dirk became part of dress. The early ones varied in shapes and sizes and were not made to follow a pattern until Victorian times.

The lovely example I am showing here dates from the early years of King Edward 7th (1901-1910) - it is his Crown that is on the ornament at the Forte with the Naval fouled anchor. The engravings on the blade, are however , of the pattern used in the later year's of Queen Victoria. Presumably they had stocks made during her lifetime ?

'ECMDD' are the initials engraved on the throat of the scabbard and with so many initials it would indicate an important family. Young officer's were often presented with swords on their appointments - and Naval tradition is similar.

SO, the question is - who was he ? We are looking back at just over 100 years ago and with so many initials it should be possible to find out his background - after all - he has two World Wars in front of him - what rank could he have achieved ? I wuld be grateful for any help or, advice on how we research him ?

This is the side that faces outwards. Note the standard Lion's head - this is on all Naval edged weapons for officers. The skin of the grip is from a Ray - most people think shark - but, that has bigger bubbles in the skin.

Some dirks have two rings on the same side - this was to carry it in the trail position. By this date the rings are opposite each other and it was carried in the vertical position on the left hip. The ring in the Lion's mouth was for the standard Naval Dress knot that went over the wrist to prevent it being dropped. Acorns (from Oak trees - very symbolic) tip the cross guard and at the Forte is Edward's Crown with the Naval Fouled Anchor.

The Royal coat-of-arms - note Crowns on both sides are late Victorian. Unusually, there is no maker's mark. However, the engraving is particularly sharp and I think the weapon has been privately ordered and is not from one of the standard

manufacturers'. I think - if we are lucky enough to find his background - that he is from an important family ?

Your best bet for research is the Navy Lists...

www.navylistresearch.co.uk

...plus The National Archives...

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-navy-officer-service.htm

Very nice dirk by the way. I don't collect anything of the sort but can certainly appreciate them.

Edited by hucks216

Thanks Hucks - I will do my best to track him down. I like items as personal as this.

Jonathan - you've been missing in action ! Funnily enough, I was looking for info on the Dirk and found you are a Mod . - was it War Forums ? You 'little traitor' ! I bought a collection of swords a few weeks back and am slowly going to post them. I also bought earlier this week this Dirk + a sawback pioneer sword and - a French heavy cavalry sword from the Crimea period. I will appreciate your comments.

Mervyn