News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Bulgarian Air Force WWII aviation badge

Hello everyone (especially Ted who will probably respond to this first :))

I have here an unknown to me Bulgarian aviation badge. It has elements of the WWII period especially the main eagle device and the oversized wreath. I have never seen this badge depicted in regs, books or photos. So first question, what is it supposed to be?

Second, this badge is supposed to be a Miloshev badge of the typical multi-piece manufacture. The enamel is hard fired and does not glow. The wreath and the eagle are cast. And I must say, very poorly cast as the details are quite muddy, there are many bubble pits and there are outright blank spaces. The materials are not as fine either. The back screw with the Miloshev imprint is in unplated zinc.

So, that is all I know. Do you know more? Do please share.

Cheers,

Tod

Dietrich E. Riemer, Bulgarian Badges Witnesses of History, BM-Trade , Sofia, 2007, p. 133 writes this could be a WW II Air Force Flight Instructor badge, but strongly suggests this could be a fake or a fantasy badge made up with parts of authentic badges.

Prof Petko Pavlo does not mention it in the Air Force section of his Bulgarian Military Decorations, PHP Publihing House, Sofia, 2007.

Sorry for the bad news ....

Iffig. Not bad news at all. Knowledge like this is never bad news. For me it is a confirmation of something the badge was already telling me based on quality and construction. But as you say, I don't know if this type of badge, good or not, ever existed.

I am curious about the books you posted. I don't have much for native Bulgarian references. Would you recommend either of these books for a non-speaker/reader? In other words, are the pictures worth it?

Cheers,

Tod