News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Museums and shops to visit on my London trip?

Gents,

I am going to be in London next week on a non-working trip and might be able to pop into a few shops and military museums while I am there.

Do you have any museums or insignia shops to recommend me? Please let me know, all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Alf

Hi - Alf. I would certainly recommend the British War Museum - on the South bank of the Thames. Any taxi can take you.

The Tower of London is always of interest. Try and buy a copy of 'The Antiques Trade Gazette' - they sell it on the bigger news kiosks - that will give you current auctions and fairs. Gray's Antique Market - just off Regent St. and alongside Bond St. tube - I think it is Gray St., is well worth a visit - lots of small stands selling all sorts of good things.

Many dealers have moved from central London because of the rents - however, the area around the Angel tube station in Islington is worth a walk

around. Also, there is a big market at Camden Lock at weekends. Check on this and times.

That should keep you busy for a week and I'm sure you will get many other suggestions. Have a great trip and tell us what you find. Mervyn

Alf

If you've got jet lag on Friday try Bermondsey market in Bermondsey Square, it opens at 4am, is an antiques market for the trade but they nearly always have militaria there from the house clearance boys, shuts around lunchtime.

On Wednesday and Saturday try the Angel Market at Angel Islington (buy the monopoly card while you're there), the military market is downstairs - don't bother with upstairs, the stuff is all polished, expensive and for tourists.

Don't miss Portobello Road market on Saturday, get there for 8am at the flyover end (you'll see what I mean when you get there, or just ask one of the stallholders). Hundreds and hundreds of stalls and worth using the old "list" technique of buying for someone else as long as you know what you are looking at. Most of the stallholders know what they've got and will help someone who asks for it. Watch out for the odd robber though.

Another museum worth going to is the Army Museum at Chelsea Barracks, (its north of the river, just in case, due to some taxis refusing to go "south of the river", take no notice, I've moved from there now to the west country with all the pirates) Over the road is the Chelsea Hospital where all the Chelsea Pensioners live. Go have a laugh with them, great old warriors and you can even find the odd Waterloo veteran if you check under the bushes.

Have a nice time - Cheers Spaz

• 1 month later...

I did make it to the Imperial War Museum, where I spent some time, as well as Camden Lock, although I did not buy anything there (I don't collect medals, you see.) Thank you, everyone, for your kind suggestions!