News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Classification of Golden Kites in 6th and 7th class

JapanX

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type 5.2 Taisho

Slightly different geometry of a kite body on comparison with the previous type. The very stable common feature (we will have a talk about it later) of all sub versions of type 5 less vividly expressed on this type.

OLD vs. LATE

Traditionally the dividing line between "old" signs (Meiji and Taisho epoch) and "later" signs (Showa epoch) in 6 and 7 class lies in the wing form of a kite and apertures of the harness. Forms of kites are shown above, and on a harness the main difference of signs on an epoch of Meiji and Taisho from signs on an epoch of Showa is presence (an epoch of Meiji or Taisho) or absence (the Showa epoch) additional aperture on a harness. This characteristics is a necessary and sufficient condition that you badge belong to epoch of Meiji or Taisho. The illustration here will be more useful than words.

Another steady sign of "old" badges (from Meiji and Taisho epoch) is the distance between the fourth aperture of a harness (considering from below) and the first tipping over of a harness (considering from below). Here it is.

Types 1, 2 and 3 have additional common feature in the form of the wings – third feather from the top is the longest feather. At wings of types 4, 5, 6 and 7 the second feather from the top is the longest. You can see these differences at this picture.

Taisho badges (Type 5 and 6) or as they occasionally called, late Meiji badges, is possible to allocate in one group by two steady features. The first are outlines of a kite ("the failed" wings). The second – wider distance between harness apertures on the left tape above. Here is this place.

Is it already Taisho or is it still Meiji?

The only thing that should not cause any doubts in the offered classification is type 7. Quantitatively this type dominates the others by order of magnitude greater. It’s definitely Showa. Difficulties starts with types 1-6. Types 1 and 4 cannot be dated accurately. On my subjective sensations most often you can meet on the market type 1, type 2 and type 4 (in turn types 1 and 4 among these three are the more numerous types). Type 3 is rarer. Their serial arrangement in classification does not lean against any accurate information and is almost casual. Whether these four types exclusively belong to the period 1985-1905 – we have no guarantees for that! Any of this types can belong to Taisho. Yesss… The main problem as always with Taisho. Type 5 and type 6. Do they really belong exclusive to Taisho? If so, than why so much passes of these types in the market? Too much and too frequent for Taisho. I will remind to my colleagues that by the most conservative estimations (conservative from my point of view) the total number of all kites in all classes awarded during Taisho epoch is 3000. Let the biggest weight in these awardings fall on 7 class. Let even total number of awardings during Taisho be not 3000, but 30000 (this is madly overoptimistic estimation). But even then type 5 and 6 should appear in the market much less often, than we observe it today. All that can mean only one thing. Types 5 and 6 get either into Meiji epoch or into Showa epoch. Or in both epochs. Only in one thing it is possible to be more or less confident – types 1-6 belong to the period of time 1895-1932, and type 7 to the period 1932-1945.

In summary it is necessary to note that the major characteristic by which it is necessary to date kites of 6 and 7 classes are apertures on a harness, instead of the form of a kite. It is especially true in a case with a beginner. After all even a skilled falerist can easily confuse the form of a kite of type 2 and type 7.

Edited by JapanX

• 11 months later...
    • 2 months later...

A little update.

Lately I found some documented groups with type 5 kites that came from Russo-Japanese War.

So, as I always suspected, this type (5 and 6) doesn`t exclusively belong to the Taisho epoch.

Check this out.

Infantery Lieutenant Nischimura was awarded with this Kite on April 4th, 1905