News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 screwback opinion

Hello Jan,

I'm not enthusiastic about your piece, I'm no expert, but a couple of points disturb me - The back has no small peg sticking out the back, or any signs of one being there - its purpose being to hold the medal in upright position. The swastika also is much too thick. Here's a couple of pictures of my screw-back EK 1.

Regards

Edited by AlecH

Hello Jan Arne,

Interesting....

In my opinion it looks like an (Otto Schickle?) one piece cross that has had it's swastika removed at some stage, and unfortunately someone has tried to 're-nazify' it by applying a home-made swastika to the centre.

Regards - Danny

Hello Alec,

We posted at the same time as each other - apologies for breaking up your pictures (btw that's a beautiful Deschler you have there).

As far as I am aware, these Schinkel-form one piece screwback crosses didn't have an anti-rotation pin, I imagine the vaulting combined with the screw plate would have held them quite securely.

I mentioned Otto Schickle in my previous post as quite a few collectors believe that these crosses were produced by that company, although I don't believe there is any definite proof of this.

Regards - Danny

Thanks Guys !

Dont think they have tried to denazi the swaz ,

It`s only the black paint that is removed , to make the swaz more visable .

Jan Arne

Hello,

I still think the cross has been de-nazified - have a look at the crushed, damaged beading on the inner corners, and the scratches on the area surrounding the swastika. The present swastika is far too large and mis-shapen for the cross. Here are a couple of images of what the swastika should look like. (Crosses and photographs are property of Ben Bijker - I hope he doesn't mind me reproducing them here. I will remove them if needs be.)

Regards - Danny

Variant with magnetic, one piece construction, Screw-back.

from the collection of Ben Bijker.

1piecesbmagf.th.jpg

Variant with non-magnetic, one piece construction, Screw-back.

from the collection of Ben Bijker.

1piecesbnomagf.th.jpg

Edited by Danny70

Hello Alec,

We posted at the same time as each other - apologies for breaking up your pictures (btw that's a beautiful Deschler you have there).

Hello Danny,

You are man who knows his iron crosses - you are right L/10 Deschler Iron Cross