News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is this?

North Denmark

ND

Can't find anything on this. Even the colours don't give it away (other than the French tricolour down the edges) on civil ribbon websites. The address on the button doesn't help as it is now a health centre so I didn't bother digging deeper as it looks like the button was a later addition anyway. All looks a bit rough and ready so could be a made up from bits and bobs but intriguing that the ribbon colours are strange.

Spaz

Thank you for digging.

Secretary of the French veterans of WW1 or WW2 sounds plausible. I actually think the button is from the time, maybe there was a button factory where the health center is located today ;) I've never seen anything like this, if anyone has an example, please post it.

North Denmark

Right, checked France's medal lists and only 3 come close to the ribbon colours. I've checked the following lists:

life saving

veterans

societies

red cross

orders

military

commemorative

music

colonies

civil

and

resistance

This is a medal from the Resistance list. It is called "Medal for Proscribed Patriots 1939-1945" the band down the middle of the ribbon doesn't match but the green and tricolour does

Edited by Spasm

And my final submission from the Societies list. The medal is called "Cross of Honour for Humanitarian Works, Officer". This matches perfectly. So, still thinking this ribbon was used to make up a fantasy award to a secretarial, sharpshooting fireman. Maybe as a fun works leaving award :P . Or perhaps (more than likely) I'm talking complete.........

Thank you Spasm. Good work and nice pieces you have found. I like your theory about my decoration is assembled by a mad man with access to full size and miniature ribbon and other weird stuff, just so we could spend our evening trying to figure it out :banger: What kind of a sick bastard would do that :jumping:

Anyway, I think my decoration is well made and with fine enamel work. Nothing is certain yet, the truth is out there. Perhaps the button holds the key or perhaps the weapons can tell something about its age. However, I must admit that it does not look like an official award.

Regards

North Denmark

Edited by North Denmark

Hello

This type of ribbon was first used with post 1870-71 veterans' societies. The helmet on the clasp is XIXth century for a fireman. In those days it was quite usual for French firemen to have weapons such as the rifles also shown on the badge.

My gess would therefore rather be the Hon. Secretary of a French firefighters' association, pre-WW1, badge.

Just an (educated?) guess.

Veteran