News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - query about unknown medals

Hi Alex,

I split the thread as its always better to start a new one for something like this! Medals are identifiable and thread name can then be amended.

Unless someone provides info, I'll revert back with something myself at a later stage - slightly caught up at the moment.

Jim :cheers:

And last but not least: any Italian presence in Libia before WW2 ?!

Any info on the three pieces will be much appreciated.

Are any of them interesting, or just common items ?

As time permits -

The Italian Medal for Libya arises as a result of the Italo-Ottoman campaigns. With France having secured Tunisa, it was seen as 'fair' if Italy should secure Libya. Libya, till then part of the Ottoman Empire was considered by the Italians as falling under its area of influence due to its geographical proximity. The Italians declared war and seized Libya as a colony using a force of some 35,000 troops.

The medal can often be seen coupled with a similar one for the Italo-Turkish war. I believe both ribbons to be the same as well as the obverse of the medals, with the campaign name only being different.

As seems to be very typical of Italian medals, yours comes without the ribbon. I have yet to figure out why the ribbons keep disappearing!!!

Attached is a link with some interesting detailed information of the Libya situation that I came across: http://histclo.com/country/arab/lib/hist/lh-ita.html

Second: 15mm in diameter veterans association pin. Looks like someone put some nail polish on it.

Or maybe it`s some modern low quality repro ?

I believe this to be related to scouts, due to the stamping on the back of it.

Lapel badge of the Associazione Nazionale Combattenti e Reduci or ANCR which is a private association for veterans and disabled. Takes care of the moral and material needs of its members and is responsible for organising activites, training, ceremonies etc for its members.

Its got nothing to do with Scouts - The Fleurdelys at the back is found on the coat of arms of Firenze (Florence) and the stamp at the back also denotes that this was probably also produced in Florence. Possibly given to members or possibly sold to raise funds, I cannot say if this is original or not, but would doubt why something like that should be faked or altered.

Well Alex,

It is a "Croce Al Merito di Servizio per la Guardia di Finanza" - this would be worn with a yellow-green ribbon (YGYGY) and is definitely an Italian Republic cross from the RI cypher. I believe these are awarded under the Republic for 16,25 and 40 years service. However I am not familiar with these crosses to tell you which one this is. I also understand that these existed prior to the Republic and carried the eagle and crossed shield against a red enemalled background. Somehow not the easiest medal to find pictures of on line.

Perhaps one of our Italian members could chip in here...

Jim :cheers: