News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in the Boer War

Hello all,

I'm trying to find anything I can about the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in the Boer War. I'm considering purchasing a uniform group to an officer in that regiment who commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in probably June of 1896. His name was RAM Ewart. I know that the Second Battalion went to South Africa and took heavy casualties, and were at Magersfontein. I also know that no RAM Ewart was killed in the Boer War.

Can anyone direct me to any units histories or resources that may help me try to track down Lieutenant Ewart? I can't imagine a man who was a Lieutenant in 1896 never made it to South Africa. I realize it's possible he didn't, but I'd like to confirm or deny that this officer served or didn't serve in the Boer war before I "pull the trigger" and purchase the man's uniforms.

Additional information: His father was a Lieutenant General Ewart. He also ended up in the Black Watch (could he have been related to the Major Ewart who was with the Black Watch at Magersfontein?). There was also a JS Ewart in the Cameron Highlanders, who I beleive was another relatives. JS Ewart passed the Staff College in 1891.

Thanks!

~TS

Edited by TS Allen

Thanks so much, Chris. I suspect he got back in for the Boer War, because by the other uniforms the dealer has on offer, he ended up in the Cameron Highlanders (with his brother?) in the Edwardian era. Is there any chance you could help me figuring that mess out?

I can't buy the whole grouping, sadly (it'd be a half-dozen uniforms, three of which would be mess dress, which I don't collect) so instead I'm preserving what I can by buying all of his uniforms from his time in the KOYLI, which include his red and blue frocks. I plan on setting it up with appropriate Sam Browne equipment, field glasses, and hopefully eventually a proper helmet, as he would have worn it on field days.

V/r,

~TS