News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For ages I have wanted a pair of Gamaschen.... not WW2 ones, or post WW1 ones or Civilian ones.... it is just so very hard to tell pre 1918 from "the rest"...

But finally a set from an NCO from the 2nd Bavarian Reserve Inf. Regt.

There were 3 sets of his Gamaschen up for sale... this was the 2nd best one... the best were some canvas ones with labels "Hindenbrg Gamaschen", but I missed them....

Still these warm my heart... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

These are most certainly private purchase examples. I have never seen anything quite like them. The leather straps and buckles, the trim on the edges, etc.....all very unusual. Had I seen them without some provenance, I would have been very skeptical. I have had four or five pairs, made from everything from the bottom 4" of an overcoat skirt, to ones cut from a blanket, to navy issue ones made from canvas. The "Mars" and "Hindenburg" Gamaschen may be private purchase too. If Gamaschen were ever issued, you would think we would have seen a marked pair. I have not.

Chip

Chris,

These are most certainly private purchase examples. I have never seen anything quite like them. The leather straps and buckles, the trim on the edges, etc.....all very unusual. Had I seen them without some provenance, I would have been very skeptical. I have had four or five pairs, made from everything from the bottom 4" of an overcoat skirt, to ones cut from a blanket, to navy issue ones made from canvas. The "Mars" and "Hindenburg" Gamaschen may be private purchase too. If Gamaschen were ever issued, you would think we would have seen a marked pair. I have not.

Chip

Hi,

I am very happy with them :-))

I think given the fact that they are wool, they would in a very short time stretch from the original 2m once worn a few times and after being wet. The trim stops them fron strecthing and would not be seen once they are rolled around the leg. (The double sided trim is only on the botton where it would go around the boot). I imagine once they are on, the buckle and trim could not be seen, just the wool. They are also made from 2 or 3 pieces of cloth, I think without the trim they could pull apart.

I wonder if these were ever factory made, or were all shopped out to cottage industry tailors with wool scraps? It would not seem logical to tie up a real factory in wartime to make these, and I would also find it strange if they were to use rolls of virgin wool when offcuts would do just as well.

Best

cHRIS

Chris,

Not denigrating your new pair. Just making some observations.

I forgot that I also have a pair made from Papiergarn. They might be made for the government, as I can't imagine someone who wanted Gamaschen buying papercloth.

I can see a cottage industry involvement in government procured items, but not with private purchase quality pieces. It is amazing how many items you see with cottage industry type markings on them. I have two papercloth sandbags, one of which has a paper label still on it. The bags were put together at a "Heimarbeit=Ausgabestelle". The tag was signed by a "Hausarbeiterin", probably so she could get paid for her piecework.

Chip

Chris,

Not denigrating your new pair. Just making some observations.

I forgot that I also have a pair made from Papiergarn. They might be made for the government, as I can't imagine someone who wanted Gamaschen buying papercloth.

I can see a cottage industry involvement in government procured items, but not with private purchase quality pieces. It is amazing how many items you see with cottage industry type markings on them. I have two papercloth sandbags, one of which has a paper label still on it. The bags were put together at a "Heimarbeit=Ausgabestelle". The tag was signed by a "Hausarbeiterin", probably so she could get paid for her piecework.

Chip

No Problemo, Forums are here to chew things over...

I have finally had some time to check these out...

Each is made of 5-7 pieces of field grey wool.

The buckles would be at the top once rolled onto the leg.

It seems, most have cloth strip strings instead of buckles, but have found variations in pics with cloth strips and buckles.

Best

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the previous owner... Feldwebel Biechl, 11. Komp. 2. b.R.I.R.

I think the Gamaschen he has on are the pair sold before mine (There were 3 pairs all in all, 2 like mine and a canvas pair).

You can see the leather strap at the top, and the different shade on the lining on the rim.

And a bonus with the EK2 on the pic :-)