News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

hello, i have this group as well named to Rudolf Lackner of the 1 PIONEER BATTALION 657 OR 1./PI.BTL.657. the grouping consists of three award documents and the awards. the awards are the black wound badge, ek2 and ostfront ribbon bar and the three award documents for each. i again am asking for information regarding Rudolf Lackner and the unit he served with.

thanks

john

With Rudolf Lackner being a 'lowly' soldier (i.e. he didn't win any high end awards and never made a name for himself) the chances are that there will be no information on him. You could try contacting WASt for his personnel files (if they still exist) but they don't usually pass such details to non-NoK. There is a Feldwebel Rudolf Lackner listed on the Volksbund as having being killed on the 19th November 1944 in Vitebsk but without knowing 'your' soldier's date of birth there is no real way of knowing if it is him, especially as he would of had to of received rapid promotions as he was still an Obergefreiter in August 1944.

Here is some basic information on Pi.Btl 657 (taken from http://www.sturmvogel.orbat.com/pioniere.html )

Pionier-Bataillon 657

19 Jan 40 formed in WK XIII as "bespanntes Heeres-Pionier-Btl."

22 Jun 41 XXVIII Corps, Sixteenth Army, Army Group North

19 Jul 41 XXXVIII Corps, 18th Army, Army Group North

20 Aug 41 XXVIII Corps, Sixteenth Army, Army Group North

Feb 42 Staraya Russa, X Corps, 16th Army, Army Group North

14 Mar, 4 Apr 42 X Corps, 16th Army, Army Group North

15 Jun 42 X Corps, Sixteenth Army, Army Group North

31 Aug 44 XXXVIII Corps, ? Army, Army Group North less 2 companies

Lexikon entry... http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/PionierBat/PiBat657.htm )

As you can see from the EK II citation, around September 1942 it was attached to 81 Infanterie Division.