News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Father's PM Jewel

Mike

I was just going through a few things and found my Dad's Blue Lodge items , and thought I'd share them with you. He passed 2 years ago , he really loved the Craft ...and was thrilled when I finally took my 3d.

Anyway , hope you like the pictures --

Mike,

Thanks for sharing those. A fabulous Jewel.

I've seen a lot of Masonic watches, but that one is new to me.

Firemedals

Thanks ..I'm glad you liked them. I've never seen a watch like that either but , it had to be a production face on it. He wore that watch everyday ...he was so proud of being a Mason. I have his 50 year pin too. I was thinking of having it restored but , not sure who or where.

Mike...What a lovely, beautiful, set of hardware. Something I bet, you are or will be proud to wear yourself. It was a long time before I could bring myself to wear Pops old jewels...K

Mike - a lovely jewel, watch and fob.

Both - you were both fortunate that your fathers were Masons and had that extra bond between you.

When my blindfold was removed, all those years ago, I only recognised my Proposer and Seconder!

Mike - a lovely jewel, watch and fob.

Both - you were both fortunate that your fathers were Masons and had that extra bond between you.

When my blindfold was removed, all those years ago, I only recognised my Proposer and Seconder!

My late father and I joined my Blue Lodge at the same time and went through all three degrees together. When we received the Master's degree they did him first so that when it came time to raise me and they removed the blindfold, he was the one standing there to do it. I ended up going through the chairs and became Master in 1982, he served as chaplain for 5 years, including my year as Master. I feel myself very fortunate to have shared that experience with him.

I also own my maternal grandfather's Masonic ring and my maternal great-grandfather's Masonic lapel pin.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

I'm in danger of going off-topic here, but I shall take that risk!

For me, even if you have known someone to be a Mason for some time, but have never stood in Lodge with them, then the moment that you do is quite special.

My father an I are very close, but he's not 'on the Square' and has never shown any interest, so I envy those that have that satisfaction.

WM...Wouldn't it be unusual for the son whilst in the chair to initiate dad.

Would be particularly unusual if I could get my Dad to drive a 400 mile round trip for a Lodge meeting, it's bad enough (so my Mom tells me) getting him to go to the local supermarket :D

The first thing this morning I woke to your posts ...and it made my day. You guys are great ! I was hesitant to post his items because, they are not rare or from the 1800's or anything ....but after reading all of your posts , I'm glad I did. Thanks

He really wanted to be with me for my 3d but ...I took my 3d in California (Burbank #406) and he was living in Florida at the time ...but that didn't stop him from mailing a box full to the WM with a ring,Bible and many other items that they presented me with. I wish he could have been there ...in many ways , he was.

I was hesitant to post his items because, they are not rare or from the 1800's or anything

Mike,

Thank you for sharing these treasures with us (possibly another reason why they should be called 'jewels'). The items I really love in my collection are those of which I know some of the history behind them, whether that is an anecdote about the Lodge or the Brother to whom the jewel belonged, it doesn't matter, because it's interesting to me. I can now understand why the military medal collectors like to research named pieces now.

What is important to you is that those pieces you shared with us are not only Masonic, but given to you by your father as well. I have a drawer in my chest containing some very ordinary looking items, including tatty aprons and other things that perhaps in truth are really only fit for the rubbish. BUT, they were given to me by Brethren that I have stood 'shoulder to shoulder' with in a Lodge Room, or their widows, and that means more to me than anything.

Tonight, I was at a meeting of a Lodge that was founded in 1732 (St John the Baptist, No. 39) and with me was a very good friend who showed me that under the flap of his apron were about six names of Brethren who had owned and worn the apron before him, going back - we guess - to the 1920s. History and pride in such items cannot be bought, we are just their temporary custodians. Just add your love to these items and make sure that, when you join the Grand Lodge above many years from now, they are passed on to someone else who will appreciate them.... whoops! In danger of getting sentimental and going off topic again!!

I think I made my point somewhere in all that!

Mike,

Thank you for sharing these treasures with us (possibly another reason why they should be called 'jewels'). The items I really love in my collection are those of which I know some of the history behind them, whether that is an anecdote about the Lodge or the Brother to whom the jewel belonged, it doesn't matter, because it's interesting to me. I can now understand why the military medal collectors like to research named pieces now.

What is important to you is that those pieces you shared with us are not only Masonic, but given to you by your father as well. I have a drawer in my chest containing some very ordinary looking items, including tatty aprons and other things that perhaps in truth are really only fit for the rubbish. BUT, they were given to me by Brethren that I have stood 'shoulder to shoulder' with in a Lodge Room, or their widows, and that means more to me than anything.

Tonight, I was at a meeting of a Lodge that was founded in 1732 (St John the Baptist, No. 39) and with me was a very good friend who showed me that under the flap of his apron were about six names of Brethren who had owned and worn the apron before him, going back - we guess - to the 1920s. History and pride in such items cannot be bought, we are just their temporary custodians. Just add your love to these items and make sure that, when you join the Grand Lodge above many years from now, they are passed on to someone else who will appreciate them.... whoops! In danger of getting sentimental and going off topic again!!

I think I made my point somewhere in all that!

WM , There were many "Points" made in your post and they are all right on the mark.

I've collected WW2 Militaria for over 40 years, and yes I have a room full of History but I never looked at that room as an investment or saw only the cash value of an item ...I get really upset at the Dealers out there who break up a grouping to maximize the profit.

But until now , I've never made any correlation between my caring for my Father's Masonic items and caring for say ...a Medal grouping that belonged to someone I never knew . Of course my Fathers items will always be on a higher value level to me..but as you said --"Just add your love to these items and make sure that, when you join the Grand Lodge above many years from now, they are passed on to someone else who will appreciate them.." I hope that years after I'm gone , these items end up with someone who will take care of and value them. I'd like to think that 200 years from now his Jewel will end up in some Masonic Museum instead of ending up at a Pawn Shop and melted down for the Gold.

The West Point Museum is only 20 min away ..I know several of the Curators and one told me the same thing. Basically all we are doing is baby sitting these items for future generations ...and we pay good money for that privilege. In the mean time we get to enjoy ,study and learn from our collections . In the end, we all have one thing that we can be very proud of ...our contribution to keeping History and memories alive

Thanks WM

--Mike

Mike..I like the touch of using your dads initials - monogram above the past masters jewel. I notice something of interest each time I look at them

Kgard and Mike,

Not sure how usual or unusual that is in US Masonry, but it is quite the norm in most Australian PM jewels I have seen.

In England - where it would be unusual to personalise a jewel with monogrammed initials - many Lodges 'recycle' their PM jewels, representing those jewels that have been voluntarily returned by former PMs or their widows. This is often due to (both or either) the current high prices of jewels and their workmanship not being a patch on those made before 1940.

All too frequently the original engraving is erased, leaving no trace of the former recipient. I have made it somewhat of a personal crusade when repatriating PM jewels to ask the Lodge to leave the original engraving and just put a plaque on the reverse of the ribbon to engrave the names of subsequent recipients. I am sure the fine words and sentiments expressed in the original presentation engraving apply equally to all those who receive the jewel, so all that is necessary is a name and year.

WM5806

I think you're right and the older Lodges over here did 'recycle' their jewels , many prob still do. Years ago (before I took my 3d) my Dad asked if I wanted to keep his Jewel and if not , he wanted me to give it to the Lodge. But it means a lot to me and I don't want to see it modified. If it had been made as a generic Jewel with a backplate (pocket slide) so many names and dates could be engraved ..that would have been a different story and of course I would have given it back. ..I don't know if they still even make Jewels like this anymore.

This Jewel meant SO MUCH to him ...when he fell Ill in Florida ..I flew down and stayed with him. While he was in the Intensive Care Unit and heavily sedated ...he kept asking me if I took his Jewel out of his house to protect it ! After he asked me the fifth time ...I told him I traded it for a Nazi Uniform ..what a response that got ...even on the Drugs , his eyes opened right up and he said "don't play games with me !" :rolleyes:

I don't think I can reply to that.

Don't worry ...he had a great sense of Humor and knew I was joking. When things settled down he even asked me what type of Uniform I got for it !

There was one medal he had and I can't find ...it was almost a Maltese Cross with deep red enamel and a black ribbon. I'm guessing that it was Knights Templar related ..does it sound familiar to you ?

There was one medal he had and I can't find ...it was almost a Maltese Cross with deep red enamel and a black ribbon. I'm guessing that it was Knights Templar related ..does it sound familiar to you ?

Yes, Mike,

Sounds very much like a KT jewel - the English ones tend to have a white and red ribbon, although I have often see the US ones with a black ribbon.

Regards

WM5806

Something like this KT jewel Mike.

[attachmentid=25116]

That's it ..with the gold finish and I remember it didn't have any markings on the back BUT ..it also didn't have any top named "rocker" with the pin. I think the pin set up was just stitched to the top of the ribbon.