News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great East Asia War Medal - Framed

Dieter3

New acquisition. I wonder if this is the type with a blank reverse, my guess is yes. The medal is firmly attached, must be glue as there is nothing penetrating through the backing so I guess I'll never know for sure. There are a few dings in the frame, otherwise in near mint condition - must never have been displayed, at least not in the sun.

Hiya Nick! And a Merry Christmas to you as well! Been busy, but have a little time to breathe now..... ;)

Yes, yes - well, had to get myself something for Christmas! Acquired several items recently, will eventually get around to posting a few anyway. Mostly Red Cross pieces including the Men's analog to that "Mystery Medal", remember that one? :lol:

But I really ike this one. Looks even nicer in person. But no clues as to who may have once owned it. :(

I do not think it is a veteran presentation piece, but rather a display piece that shows what the medal looks like. The inscription on the plate at the bottom says that it is a "Mockup of the Great East Asian War Medal". The first kanji in the inscription is the Japanese word "maboroshi" which means an illusion, apparition, mockup etc. It is a strange choice of word for this inscription and is not what would be put on a veteran display piece. I suggest it is probably a display piece from a museum, or other public display.

Still a very nice piece, it will look nice on your wall !

That is possible! But the frame has no hangers, it only has a pop-out stand, so it was meant for sitting on something. And here is the other bit that I forgot to include - when I disassembled the frame I found affixed to the back a kind of charm in caligraphy from a shrine that was intended to bring safety to one's home, or so it seems. Why it is there, I do not know - it does not seem to be realted to the medal, but must have been considered a safe place to keep it by its owner. I'm led to believe it belonged to an individual rather than an institution, but there is no way to be sure.

That word, maboroshi, is odd indeed as you suggest. It is a very nuancced word in Japanese and I believe it was not meant to be taken on face value, but rather taken for its more cultural subtleties within the context of the piece's creation, I don't know that it can be readily translated into English. But perhaps then these were at one time available to the public, maybe sold at museums or the like? There is zero identifying information on the frame or any part of it unfortunately so no leads even to follow!

And as nice a display as it would make on my walll - it's going into a box. :lol:

...within a matter of seconds we've got another BIG MYSTERY on our hands!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And we've already have like a jillion unsolved mysteries...

Shouldn't we call for Charlie Chan or Mr. Moto?

We'll call this one "Mr.Moto and mystery Medal display"

Rated R

Edited by JapanX