News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sacred Treasure, 6th Class

Dieter3

Here's kind of an interesting one - the case is not lacquer, rather paper-wrapped, like the China Incident medal. Osaka mint, rosette also marked "ス" - I would think this would date the overall piece to the late 20s/early 30s, but can't quite figure out the case. Replacement of sorts? It's really quite well made. Interior is the same, satin-like material, zero metal hardware on it.

Well this is really interesting unusual box + marked badge in excellent conditions + marked rosette.

Very nicely done!

Guess somebody just came back from Japan and this somebody definitely not me ;)

This box is really mysterious one. And very accurately made.

The badge is from late 20s/early 30s with very nice color pattern of the jewels.

Cool!

One of my mentors in Japan, Mori san in Tokyo, believed that the pasteboard cases for orders were from the early 1940s. There is no solid proof for this but it makes sense since they are pretty rare (and are normally Sacred Treasure awards which continued to be bestowed for long service). Mori san has been collecting and dealing in Japanese militaria since before most of us were born (he started in the 1950s) so I tend to believe him in this regard.

Thank you Paul! Every bit of info like this helps put pieces into the puzzle! (well, for me anyway, the puzzle is pretty big..... :lol: ) I thought perhaps they were "less expensive" replacements, possibly for damaged originals.

Silver kanjis, cardboard box ...

No wonder Mori son believed it came from early 40s...

Strange kinda order inside though...

Diameter of rivets are to big (for my taste) for 40s (not to mention mint mark M!)

Well, none of this is easy, hence the need to avoid jumping to conclusions too quickly! :lol:

Edited by JapanX

• 8 months later...

... but I'm still puzzled by the use of these cases - I mean they definitely come from a time when lacquerware was the thing, so what's up with these?

Pre-war privations?! :whistle:

Makes one wonder from where period these atypical red cross boxes came from ... :lol