News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A pair of 8's - Rising Sun

Dieter3

Well this is another two pieces in mint conditions!

Especially interesting the early one.

And I think it was made a little bit earlier than before WWII.

Judging by the box (which would be really risky, if this piece wasn't marked).

I think this box type (kanji style) were in use not only during Meiji, but during Taisho period (at least!) and probably even during early Showa (!). That's why many pieces from 10-30 period of time are often wrongly attributed as Meiji pieces.

Well this is another topic for another irresponsible poor researched thread and I think I'll pass ;)

Definitely this is a standart kanji style for Meiji epoch boxes and one of 3 variations of boxes for Meiji period.

Not sure about that! I think there are more than 3 (kanji) variations for Meiji era. I've only ever seen this type of case with the button rosettes, not bows - would that not place them into a later era? (Not that they can't exist without a bow rosette, I've just never seen one....) I also believe the kanji style to be more "sophisticated" than that of Meiji-era pieces - I'm more familiar with these as Meiji:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-6375-0-84659700-1325174663.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-6375-0-78563900-1325174672.jpg

Everything is mystery for you my friend :lol:

I meant not the handwrighting style (there were as many handwrighting styles for these Meiji boxes as many calligraphists), but general kanji form. Of course, if that's what you mean ;)

Inside these general kanji form one could found different forms of boxes made of different materials.

And you really should stop dating badges (or boxes) by rosettes types (pleading look + voice) :)

Not very precise method - this is for sure. :lol:

Edited by JapanX

I agree with Nick on this, I do not think the first box and medal go together. The medal is 1930s Osaka Mint for sure, but the box is the type of kanji used in the Meiji-Taisho eras. I have examples of this type of kanji with medal & document groups ranging from the Russo Japanese War to 1920s (slight differences in the calligraphy but the same basic style of kanji). Any groups I have seen from the Manchurian Incident onwards where I have been comfortable that the medals belong together with the documents and have not been messed with have the later style kanji on the lid. Hence, in the absence of new information I believe the switchover in kanji came somewhere in the late 20s. Japanese delaers are terrible for "mixing and matching" medals and boxes without any regard to the correct era.

Don't know, I'm basing things of of observations of other pieces that I have seen, this isn't this first one like this from Osaka in this type of case! I've seen a few. I've definitely seen this kanji style on Taisho era awards like you as well (that is if the documents truly match!), never anything back to the Russo-Japanese war, I've only ever seen these with the less refined kanji (I'm not doubting you, you have a great deal more experience here!). You could very well be correct about the switch over in the late 20's, perhaps with the start of the Showa era?

Don't know, I'm basing things of of observations of other pieces that I have seen, this isn't this first one like this from Osaka in this type of case!

You are right my friend on this one.

I believe that the active time period for boxes with such kanji style is 1875-1935 (1934?/1936?).

One sunny and frosty :lol: day (in the next year) I will make a big thread devoted to this question.

An attempt of complete box classification.

How does this sounds to you? ;)

One sunny and frosty :lol: day (in the next year) I will make a big thread devoted to this question.

An attempt of complete box classification.

How does this sounds to you? ;)

Sounds good to me!! That will be a serious undertaking!! :lol:

Hi colleagues :) ,

I wanted to ask, are everything is ok with this medal?

I'm new in Japan orders.. Are this is pre-war (ww2) medal? Or post-war?

I will look for any your comments :)

d0b0ff6a85d1f9d6f6461486a007c225.jpg

0a4722dd46a000da19e664f209cef133.jpg

8e5595f71c1d78554be70d5eb360b3a0.jpg

c6c7350b670b536b779ab3eedcdb27da.jpg

Thank you for your time,

Arvydas