News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified cloth badge, Squadron 239 ?

WRANGEL

Hi Chris, Hi Doc,

Thanks for commenting on the badge. You may certainly be right regarding this badge as not being American. I thought first that it could have been a USAF patch locally made somewhere, but I have no real idea of the original country of this badge. The only thing I am sure is that it is not French (although I bought the badge on a Paris fleamarket).

I agree with you Chris, the bird does look like a kingfisher, and I would not be surprised if the patch was for a naval or maritime unit as well. Since the bird seems to be in an attacking position and holding lightning in its claws I imagine that the unit is some kind of fighting or bombing squadron.

The construction of the badge does not look like an asiatic product (but I might be wrong). It is handmade. I think it is circa 1970-1980.

Cheers.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Good evening Gentlemen,

thanks to a French correspondent this badge is now almost identified:

http://www.nhaydu.com/index_83hg_files/main_files/PhuHieuQLVNCH.htm

Apparently it is a Republic of Vietnam (1955-1975) Air Force unit, but no ideas if it's for a fighting squadron, a bombing squadron, an helicopter squadron or something else.

Cheers

Bill