News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lion and Sun order documents

JapanX

I think time has come to take a close look at the documents for lions and sun orders :)

The size of the typical document (actually I think the right name will be shahs firmān [fr. Brevet/ eng. Sultan (Shah) decree) for Lion and Sun order is 455 х 285 mm.

Here we have a nice example of such document for the 2nd class of Lion and Sun order issued 22 November 1911 to the assistant military governor of Batumi region, colonel Aleksey Dmitrievich Podgursky.

Another document for the 2nd class of Lion and Sun (or at least a part of it :) ). Unknown date of issue (judging by the order type my estimate is 1900-1920), to the mysterious French University Director (?), but with original boxed order (Saniolmamalek, Teheran).

Another document for the 3rd class of Lion and Sun order issued 17 October 1905 to the councillor of State, assistant director of Moscow custom office Dmitry Blavatsky (+ some additional documents including document for officer La Légion d'honneur order).

The document content is quite standard.

The usual introduction part

(the signature and sigillum of the Shah).

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Then reasons for decoration

the Shah has ruled that the Order (Medal) of the Lion and Sun be awarded to

And date

Ramadan year …"

Looks like this type of document was in use since (at least) late 1880s.

Edited by JapanX

The numbers of Lion and Sun orders ballooned to such a degree that the royal Firman painters couldn't keep up or the beautiful hand painted Firmans were reserved for heads of state is my guess. Very nice thread Nick. You certainly do have excellent research skills and access to a wealth of material that the non-Russian speakers are excluded from. Seems like Persia and Russia have had a lot of interaction in their history.

The numbers of Lion and Sun orders ballooned to such a degree that the royal Firman painters couldn't keep up or the beautiful hand painted Firmans were reserved for heads of state is my guess. Very nice thread Nick. You certainly do have excellent research skills and access to a wealth of material that the non-Russian speakers are excluded from. Seems like Persia and Russia have had a lot of interaction in their history.

Yes, I think you are right.

As we remember - same story with central tablets quality...

What I really like to see is a document from 1810-1860 period.

I wonder if there were documents for earlier awards (why not? I think they should be somewhere...).

Thanks mate,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

And another interesting document. This time for 4th class of lion and sun order (but the size of the document is practically the same as 2nd class! 455x310 mm). The document was given to an Austrian official in 1905. Paper on the right contains a translation in german of the original text.

Thanks Babar!!! :beer:

Now we have some nice examples of early firmans for Lion and Sun order.

The design amazingly resembles later documents!

The earliest will be this document issued Lion and Sun order back in Ziqa'dah 1267 / 28.8.1851 - 26.9.1851 to Mirza Muhammad Husayn sadr-i divankhanah.

Nasir al-Din Shah decorates Mirza Muhammad Husayn sadr-i divankhanah for his service especially as ambassador to the Russian court. In addition to the first rank order showing the lion and the sun he bestows a green sash (hamayil-i sabz) upon him.

Edited by JapanX

Next will be this document (different and very beatiful firman design!) for Mirza (Muhammad) Zaman amir-i divan issued in Zihijjah 1273 / 23.7.1857 - 21.8.1857.

Due to his services, Mirza (Muhammad) Zaman amir-i divan receives a decoration (first rank) showing the lion and the sun as well as a red sash (hamayil-i surkh). Furthermore a cashmere cloth is bestowed upon him as khal'at.

And the later one dated from 1919 (13 Muharram 1338 - 13 Muharram 1338 / 8.10.1919 - 8.10.1919)

Mir Muhammad Husayn Khan 'Amid al-Mulk receives the order of the Lion and Sun First Class. Mentioned is prime minister Vusuq al-Dawlah. Decree is dated 15. Burj-i Mizan 1338.