News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lion and Sun order documents

JapanX

• 3 weeks later...

What an interesting thread! Thanks gents and especially Nick for posting these examples.

Now a silly question. Having only studied 6 weeks of Arabic, are these written in Arabic or Persian?

I ask because most of the documentation for Ottoman Empire orders is written in phonetic Arabic script but actually reads as Turkish.

What an interesting thread! Thanks gents and especially Nick for posting these examples.

Now a silly question. Having only studied 6 weeks of Arabic, are these written in Arabic or Persian?

I ask because most of the documentation for Ottoman Empire orders is written in phonetic Arabic script but actually reads as Turkish.

The documents that I posted are written in Persian (Farsi).

As for Markus beauties I'll wait for Babar opinion ;)

I had a Saudi friend look at some Ottoman awarding documents for me.

He could phonetically read the script (Arabic) but the "sounds" made no sense to him as it was Turkish although there were some common words.

It took awhile for my mind to grasp, but it was no different to a French person reading a text in German. Unless he was also fluent in German, being able to read the text doesn't necessarily mean understanding the meaning of the words.

I had a Saudi friend look at some Ottoman awarding documents for me.

He could phonetically read the script (Arabic) but the "sounds" made no sense to him as it was Turkish although there were some common words.

It took awhile for my mind to grasp, but it was no different to a French person reading a text in German. Unless he was also fluent in German, being able to read the text doesn't necessarily mean understanding the meaning of the words.

Hey Gavin,

I ran this issue past Babar and he agrees with your assessment. The same alphabet is used and it can be read, but it makes no sense to him unless he also knows Turkish language.

• 1 year later...

Another doc.

This time with order.

Accordingto the seller this one were issued to Mozaffar-Al-Din Shah's personal teacher and the curator of Royal Museum in 1903 (1320 AH).

Obverse

• 4 months later...
    • 8 months later...