News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boer War - P.O.W. Art.

During the Boer War - 1899-1902 - we captured many Boer Commando and regular troops.
    To keep them under guard within South Africa would have tied-up too many troops - and the
    decision was made to send them to overseas camps within British territories.

The Countries involved were - St. Helena ; Bermuda ; Ceylon and India.

The prisoners were allowed to make use of local materials to carve items of jewellery, furniture - and also
    metal items. The most common material that they had were the Boer Coins in their pockets.

These were used in many different ways and some beautiful objects were made from melted silver.

This is a brooch - fused together into this shape and with a pin on the back. The main coin is a 2/6
    - two shillings and sixpence - dated 1895. The flanking ones look like shillings (1/-) but the date and
    value have been covered with the rather clumsy soldering.

This set of coins ran from 1892 to 1898 and were minted in Pretoria. They had 3d ; 6d ; 1/- ; 2/- ; 2/6d
    and a five shilling piece. In gold they had the Pond - which was the same size as a Sovereign.

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURE

• 7 months later...

Hello Everyone

Here is one piece that's special in my collection. Mary must have been quite a girl. The love demonstrated in the work done by the POW prisoner on this coin shows how much Mary meant to him. He must have also been quite an artist. This a ZAR (South Africa) Two and Half Shillings coin dated 1896. A truly superb piece.

Regards

Anthony Govender

Anthony - welcome to GMIC.

This is a very fine example of a POW carved coin - probably one of the best I have seen.

Somewhere, there is a further post where I showed the booklet from the Jo'burg collector.

Useful for different styles of working.

I have noticed quite a few later copies of these coming onto the market - buyers must

look carefully . Mervyn

• 3 months later...

As promised, here are a few examples from my collection. The coin are a Burgers Pond (Extremely Rare) and a ZAR 1898 Pond. Attached is a genuine diamond.

Of all the coin jewellery, this is the best I have seen

Regards

Anthony Govender

Edited by Anthony Govender

Really Mike - I'm surprised at your question - the Boers never had time to do Trench Art - too busy shooting Brits..

They did have the time as POW's when we sent them to India, Ceylon, St. Helena and Bermuda.....................

Some very nice examples in your collection - I suppose, like coins, they had them with them and were able to make the carvings. Mervyn