News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar construction

Hi,

A few threads ago Don started a thread regarding tips on medal bars. It was thought to be a little wide in scope but I thought it a good idea. Let's try to focus the thread some and see what we get...

So to start it out, what things does one look for in a good war constructed medal bar?

1) Threads should not glow.

2) Consistent wear on all of the medals

3) Ribbon wear should match the medal wear (I like to see some wear on the ribbons where the medal rubbed against the ribbon)

4) Is the combination of medals possible?

5) Quality of constrution, bottom edges of medals should all line up, medals should be centerd on their respective ribbons.

But what about finer things....what type of backing plate, what type of pin/catch.....I recently saw a TR medal bar with a snipped brass catch (scribe line visible). All of the medals were original and had wear consitent with the rest of the bar. I know on ribbon bars the snipped catch is a no go, but is it ok on medal bars? I believe brass pins and catches are ok on medal bars but a bad combo on ribbon bars...

Just starting it out....

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

Rick,

Ref WWII ribbon bars...I did not know that...thanks.

But what about snipped brass catches on WWII TR medal bars? I know that on a ribbon bar that is the sign of a Ohio fraud makers bar.

Gary B

Nope, you'll see all brass on WW2 ribbon bars. Usually using up older, pre-war stock. There's unfortunately no hard & fast rules... it's more of a case of examining each piece as it comes down the line.

No, hand snipped anything should make you see a big red STOP sign........ But brass in and of itself isn't bad. It depends on how it's made/finished/stock used, etc.

There's an impending (Truly) Evil Twin? article on Ribbon Bars.......... watch for updates, much will be discussed and revealed.......

Thanks Rick, I returned the piece in question. Look forward to the article.

Gary B

No, hand snipped anything should make you see a big red STOP sign........ But brass in and of itself isn't bad. It depends on how it's made/finished/stock used, etc.

There's an impending (Truly) Evil Twin? article on Ribbon Bars.......... watch for updates, much will be discussed and revealed.......

Dear John,

Thanks for the wonderful compilation of pictures. I will scratch discriminator that from my list!

Gary B

Gary,

Your 5th point regarding the level of the medals. As can be seen in this little compilation, and as Rick has said, "there are no hard and fast rules" when it comes to medal bars.

Yes, despite all the regulations..... customs, personal taste, regional preferences and personal taste are rampant. Best to just keep handling and studying as many pieces as possible until you start to get a better feel for what looks 'right' and what makes you stop and think..... My advise is always, if you hesitate for even a second, if you start having to explain..... then it becomes time for a very hard look at everything!