News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo of Prince Hirohito in London, 1921

drclaw

Just received, a vintage press photo of Prince Hirohito reviewing a Grenadier Guard of honour on his visit to London in 1921.

In 1921, Prince Hirohito took a six month tour of Europe, including the United Kingdom, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium, becoming the first Japanese crown prince to travel abroad. After his return to Japan, he became Regent of Japan (Sessho) on 29 November 1921, in place of his ailing father who was affected by a mental illness. (Wikipedia)

In addition to the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum and the Order of the Rising Sun, he appears to be wearing the Order of the Royal Victorian Order and the Order of the Bath. Both British Orders were conferred in May 1921 and revoked in 1941.

Hirohito was also awarded the Order of the Garter in 1929. This was revoked when Japan entered World War II in 1941 and the banner of Emperor Hirohito of Japan was removed from St. George's chapel. That banner and the Japanese monarch's knighthood were restored by Elizabeth II in 1971, at which time he made a State visit to the United Kingdom. The Emperor was particularly pleased by the restoration of his banner as a Knight of the Garter. Perhaps curiously, Victor Emmanuel II of Italy remained a Stranger Knight after Italy entered World War II against the United Kingdom and her Allies, until his death in exile in 1947. (Wikipedia)

Thanks Dieter for your tips on storing / preserving vintage photos!

Edited by drclaw

So, I wonder who the bloke is two back - looks like he might be wearing a Golden Kite around his neck, but I can't make out anything else. Quite a few medals though!

Yep, you are certainly right about the 3rd class kite.

+

1st class sacred treasure breast star (far right and lower one)

breast star of the chrysanthemum order or rising sun with paulonia leaves order (next one counting from left to right)

First medal in the medal bar is "25th wedding anniversary" and the last one (naturally :)) red cross.

Edited by JapanX

But the most interesting thing is that the last one in this inspecting column wears Chrysanthemum order (you can see even the badge - the strangest thing is that ribbon colors look like they belong to the order of rising sun with paulonia leaves, but I think this is because of black and white decolorization or this is indeed RS with paulonia leaves) together with Star of order of Bath.

I wonder who he was (he is definitely not Japanese (the cap is way too tall) or private 1st class) and where (and what for) he got this beauty ;)

Edited by JapanX

I wonder who he was (he is definitely not Japanese (the cap is way too tall) or private 1st class) and where (and what for) he got this beauty ;)

Indeed! Dr. Claw - your research assignment is before you! ;) :lol:

No, no, no ... ANYONE can tell it's obviously an inverted Klingon medallion shaped like a Klingon Warbird.

Although why he would pin it next to an Order of the Jedi breast star is beyond me ...

Nice pic! You can definitely see the Royal Victorian Order and Bath breast stars in the portrait pic now.

Hirohito looked quite dashing as a young man - before the glasses, stoop and mournful looking moustache.