News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On 06/09/2024 at 13:36, jaba1914 said:

Herrmann Schulze served under Hauptmann Hans Masius on (Z VI), LZ 35, LZ 72, LZ 87 and LZ 107. Masius received the Ehrenbecher as well but for another achivement as an Wachoffizier on Z XI (Antwerpen on 24. Aug. 1914).

I don't have him on the crew of Z VI but he obviously was on the crew.

He started prewar service at the Luftschiffertruppe. He was part of the crew of Z VI before outbreak of war under Hans Masius. and later under Hauptmann Kleinschmidt.

Sorry, jaba1914, I'm still trying to get the hang of this forum...

Yes you've got it completely right. However, my granddad was seconded to the Luftschiffertruppe as an engineer. He received basic military and more profound engineering training as an "Einjähriger" or "Einjährig-Freiwilliger" with theTruppenteil II (Maschinisten-Kompanie) der Werftdivision Wilhelmshaven in 1908. A year later he left Wilhelmshafen as Marine-Ingenieur-Applikant d. Reserve. He then served on merchant ships for a while before - we believe - working for the DELAG (we have no proof of this). We know that he started as an engineer for Luftschiffbattalion II in Reinickendorf (Berlin) on October 1, 2013.  

I have no information that Hauptmann Masius was on Z VI when this airship attacked Liege - I think the commanding officer was Hauptmann Kleinschmidt.

Correct, Kleinschmitt was the commander on Z VI at outbreak of war.

But Hptm. Masius got the Ehrenbecher for the Attack of Antwerpen on 24. Aug. 1914 as Wachoffizier on Z IX led by Hptm. Alfred Horn.

I hope I'm not boring you folks...

But maybe this photo is of interest, too. It depicts my granddad Herrmann Schulze (left) and Hauptmann Wolff, Kommandant of LZ 86. The writing on the back of the photo reads: Herrmann Schulze und Hauptmann Wolff "who killed himself laughing about every little thing". Wolff was killed 3 months later when LZ 86 crashed near the airfield at Sanktandres (near Timisoara).

1916-06-09 Hermann Schulze u. Hauptmann Wolff .jpg

Never ever. Keep going.

I own a picture album of Lt.d.R. Paul Köstlich member of LZ 86 with great pictures of the crew and airship.

Thank you for showing this picture.

Besatzung LZ 86.jpg

LZ86Kowno.thumb.jpg.a05fd4dabbfca98cfb3741492f5dab14.jpg

Edited by jaba1914