News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice worn Valour Medal group of five

Hi all,

Just recently bought this nice documented set awarded to Pertsevoi Ivan Ivanovich. His Capture of Berlin and 30th Anniversary medal booklets indicated he was with the 676th Rifle Regt, still have to translate, however it includes:

OGPW2 1985 #5918446 with award booklet

Guards Badge

Mounted set of four:

Valour Medal #2609708 with award booklet dated 1 June 1945

Victory Over Germany

Capture of Berlin with booklet

30th Anniversary of the Red Army with booklet

The Valor Medal is nicely worn with some dirt/grease stains, from what I can find so far the number puts the award in the mid-1944 time period so this man would have worn it through all the fighting in Berlin, it sure looks like it! No red enamel left on the letters and the silver is quite blackened, I think the more dirty and worn the medal the better! What this medal and it's owner would have went through is fascinating to imagine.

At first I thought this man was serving after the War to receive the 30th Anniversary but just learned that all Valor Medal recipients were also entitled.

I have not researched any Soviet awards before so just wondering if anyone knows the best way to have the Valour Medal researched. Any info is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

Another collector was forced into learning Russian :)

When you look at a page from the document I suggest you print not just that page but also the next one, and also the very first pages from the file which should give details of whoever compiled the doc, the unit etc.

Exciting stuff!

Sergei

Edited by Sergei

This is a great resource, thanks again Sergei, I've printed off the pages relating to Sgt. Pertseva, just getting through his citation which is dated 7 May 1945. So far it looks like he was heading fighting in Czechoslovakia at that time, very interesting stuff.

Jeff

I am very grateful to Ferdinand for translating the following citation for Guards Sgt Pertsevoi of the 114th Tank Regiment, 16th Guards Mechanized Brigade, 6th Guards Mechanized Corps, 4th Guards Tank Army:

"Guards Sergeant Ivan Ivanovich Pertsevoi, tank gun commander in the 1st Tank Company, for the fact that he, during the fighting on the approaches to the city of Prague (Czechoslovakia), showed exceptional courage and bravery. While on a reconnaissance mission on May 7, 1945 he used his gun and machine gun to destroy one self-propelled artillery piece, one cannon and up to a platoon of German soldiers and officers."

Very interesting citation for bravery after rushing down from Berlin during the approach to Prague a day before Germany surrendered - literally fighting to the last day!

I wonder if his unit stopped outside of the city as he was not awarded the Liberation of Prague Medal. That offensive is unique as well in that the battle was not won until three days after the War ended. Very exciting stuff.

Jeff