News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross - "Philanthropic" (?) Badges

Dieter3

Finally - I've managed to get one of each class. I've seen these referred to as philanthropic badges, but I'm not sure of their actual purpose. From what I've learned though they seem to be exclusively for women. These are neat little badges, I realy like them. They seem fairly uncommon, though they all show up from time to time, the 3rd being the most common, naturally!

1st:

You don't need to put the word 'philanthropic' in quotation marks (or add a question mark) when referring to these badges since they are clearly labeled as such. The name of the badge on each case and each suspension piece is tokushi (篤志), which can be translated as charity or benevolence. The word tokushi-ka (篤志家) is a close match to the words philanthropist (hakuai-ka 博愛家) and volunteer (houshi katsudou-ka 奉仕活動家). It can also have a more general meaning, that of a charitable person. So there is no mystery over what kind of badge this is.

As for eligible recipients, I do not know the answer--but I'm sure someone in the RC does. And are (were) these exclusively for women? They appear to be, but that is conjecture.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for those translations! I just don't know that the English word "philanthropy" suits it best. It might, but I've been looking for a better term to describe it! Certainly this could be one form of such but I think the English term extends well beyond this meaning. Still, it will do for now, eh??

I have a document, that if being read properly, strongly suggests these to be a women's only items. Emphasis on being read/translated properly!! ;)

I think that the word would generally mean a donation of time and/or money, i.e., philanthropy. Most people think of it as being rich people donating money, but it is obviously a bit more than that.

Post the document or close-ups of relevant parts and maybe I can help with the translation. You are probably right about it being for women--based on its shape and appearance. Documentation would seal the deal.

I think that the word would generally mean a donation of time and/or money, i.e., philanthropy. Most people think of it as being rich people donating money, but it is obviously a bit more than that.

That is the first thought about rich folks donating money (and that is part of it of course) - but I'm wondering if their is distinguishing between this kind of giving or volunteering vs. (at least) my percerption of phlanthropy which is much more broad and in some significant part dedicated to the arts and sciences. Then again, I may just be confused in my meanings of things. :lol:

Will certainly try! I've got a bunch of documents that I'm going to try and photograph this upcoming weekend time allowing - they are currently being pressed to flatten them down and this one is in that stack. Stay tuned!!!

Edited by Dieter3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't forgotten! I'm way behind on my catalogging and I've been focusing on medals so I can get them processed and packed away, the documents are taking a back seat! Stay tuned^2. ;)

Sorry, I haven't forgotten! I'm way behind on my catalogging and I've been focusing on medals so I can get them processed and packed away, the documents are taking a back seat! Stay tuned^2. ;)

Talking about the world wide financial crisis...

Folks in SF simply couldn't keep pace with their acquisitions :lol: