News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patton... souvenir hunter

Hoping this is the right place for this... if not please feel free to place it were it would fit better.

I ran across this review of Patton when looking for something else and found an interesting little tidbit:

Still another old friend, an officer in our U.S Army Mountain Division, told me a less sensational story, but also a revealing one. He had been placed as the NCO in charge of a security detail at Reich Marshal Hermann Goering's estate, Karinhall, in Bavaria, during the last days of the War. He said one day a huge convoy of black vehicles appeared in the distance. Alarmed at the possibility of a last ditch panzer unit breakthrough, he phoned his superior, who in a short time, after checking with headquarters, told him to relax. It was General Patton's command force. Presently, the General, pearl handled sidearms and all, stalked through the treasures amassed by Goering. After the convoy had left, my friend was chagrined to find valuable items, including a massive ring belonging to the Reich Marshal, were missing. Three weeks later, my friend, who was temporarily broken a grade for the breach in security, saw newsreels of General Patton being greeted by Mayor James Curley on the steps of Boston City Hall. "The SOB," my friend laughed. "He was was wearing Goering's ring!"

http://www.epinions.com/review/mvie_mu-1016042/mvie-review-678F-C76E7A8-38810957-bd1?sb=1

I'd sure love to see that newsreal... and possibly be able to take a good still from it showing Patton wearing Goering's ring.

Has anyone else heard this story or have any other info on it? If Patton had it I wonder what happened to it. I've never heard of it being in the Patton museum. One wonders if he added any other such souvenirs to his budding collection of militaria? :whistle:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptmann