News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ORDER OF LEOPOLD KNIGHT (FRENCH WORKMANSHIP ?)

Hello Gentlemen I was last few days in London,I bought this Order of Leopold of strange,possibly french workmanship.

The cross is 40 millimeters (without crown & swords) and the total height : 68 millimeters.

Weight : 20 grammes.

There is a hallmark in the cross on top of the crown (the hallmak looks like a crescent with the letter "A").

But I was told that Allard who had manufactured at same time of Dutalis the first insignia of the Order of Leopold,used a design almost similar to the design of Dutalis

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Hi,

It is realy very interesting piece

I have few unusual French made Orders (not only Belgium Order of Leopold)

I believe that they could be privately made for French recepients

I have two Leopold French made Orders, however they are from later periods.

One is made by Lamaitre -an Officer Class, the crown is similar as yours

The othe is made by A. Bertrand -Commander Class

However, yours is much more unusual type.

Regards

Graf

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen, what I believed to be a manufacturer hallmark is actually a belgian hallmark for work of silver imported between 1831 & july 1868 (ref Poinçons d'Argent by Tardy).Watch the hallmark at extreme right on the last picture.

I have been able to see a fellow collector that own a similar piece, but the motto of his cross is enameled in dark blue !!! Like the Legion of Honour.

Anyway a very interesting and totally unusual Knight from the period 1832-40.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Hi,

It is realy very interesting piece

I have few unusual French made Orders (not only Belgium Order of Leopold)

I believe that they could be privately made for French recepients

I have two Leopold French made Orders, however they are from later periods.

One is made by Lamaitre -an Officer Class, the crown is similar as yours

The othe is made by A. Bertrand -Commander Class

However, yours is much more unusual type.

Regards

Graf

Hello Graf, very interesting. Your Commander cross should be from the period 1905-1925, but the Knight is earlier (I would say 1885-1910). The obverse center of the Knight you show us, is very specific.

In a medal show this afternoon,I saw in a book a photo of a breast star of Order of Leopold made by Medina of Barcelona.The author say he never saw such one,and same for me.

French manufactured Order of Leopold are seen from time to time,and a fellow had a Knight German Made (the way the swords were attached to suspension is very unique on his cross).Unfortunately he sold that cross long time ago. I know he has kept a photography....so I will do my best. But it could take weeks or months....

Emmanuel

• 1 month later...