News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a British Breast Star? Military?

Greetings All.

I just bought a breast star that appears to be British in origin, but I have no idea. Can you please look at the photos and let me know what I have? Or lead me down the right path.

These are the best pictures I have for the moment (from seller's website). Haven't received it yet.

Thank you. Linas

Hello Mike,

Could this not be for some type of association?

It seems to be a lot of work just for costume jewelry - especially considering that you have a similar one, but in green enamel. What would be the maker's incentive to produce multiple varieties and different colors?

I do not necessarily disagree with you, but maybe these were custom made for some formal or informal group. Is that possible?

Thanks. Linas

Good Morning Linas.......

Sorry but I even checked with the Regiment that had a badge that shape (King's Royal Rifle Corps) and they said that it was just jewelry.......

Mine was just the badge and not the star......

Mike

Linas - whilst I tend to usually agree with Mike's identifications ,I must admit that on this occasion I am not sure it

can just be written off as costume jewellery. The workmanship is of a good standard , the enamel with a centrepiece

of George and the Dragon well caste. What I can't make out is the panel above St. George - what does it say ?

Should the word be 'ONWARDS' - then it could well be for an Association. The use of the Royal Crown is strictly

limited and would indicate - to me - that Royal Patronage is involved. The other feature that indicates an official use

is that the surrounding mount is a standard 8 pointed star - with good moulding.

The fact that the KRRC writes that it is jewellery can easily be attributed to - 'if they didn't issue it - then they have no interest ?'

Please confirm if it is 'ONWARD' - in which case it does ring a bell with me. I have a book on mottoes and will look it up.

Mervyn

Hello Mervyn,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, there is nothing written at the top - it is just a design of an upward and downward "u". It though is quite large, at 8.5 cm in diameter.

I wish I can give you more information, but that is all I have.

If you have some thoughts of its origin, please let me know.

Take care. Linas

Linas - I would like to see a clearer picture of the panel with the Crown above.

With just an effect of wording then I think the next possibilitiy will be that it has been made as a stage prop.

Very often in period dress Orders and Awards are worn for the correct effect. They would not use originals as

they are too valuable. So, perhaps not costume jewellery - but, rather a stage item ? Mervyn

Hello again Mervyn.

As of yet I do not have the star in my possession. I bought it from a collector in Sweden, and he is sending it to me.

Your 'stage prop' suggestion sounds interesting. From a military perspective then, this star has no value. But to a general medal collector, it may. And, I would assume it is rare - primarily because the customer base for medals as stage props is quite limited. Do you agree?

Thanks. Linas

Mike - it is hard to believe that your KRRC badge is not genuine ? Even to casting wording - which Linas' does not have.

Too good for a re-enactment group - perhaps it was more intended as a large sweetheart brooch ?

I must admit that I am leaning more towards a stage prop for his. Mervyn

Mervyn......

There was a Red and a Green enamel one on ebay a while ago from the same seller....... They were listed as sweetheart pins but they are larger than the original cap badge and I could not see one being worn.....

Mike

Have had a look and his description seems genuine. The quality of this is superior to Linas' (sorry Linas) - which I still

think is intended for stage use.

I do not think yours - or this one - are intended as sweetheart brooches - far too big. However, it has been traditional

for very many years - for officers' wives to wear an ornament identifying themselves as having an affiliation to a famous

Regiment - usually through marriage. The Guards have had these as belt buckles for wives at official functions for a

long time.

The quality and the enamel work certainly make me think along these lines. Mervyn (worth buying at this price)