News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam War Medal of Honor recipient retires from active duty

Retirement caps honorable service for Medal of Honor recipient

http://www.fayobserv...39?sac=fo.local

Col. Gordon R. Roberts, who received the Medal of Honor as a sergeant during the Vietnam War, retired from the Army on Friday at Fort Bragg.

Roberts was the most senior soldier on active duty wearing the nation's highest military honor, said Maj. Gen. Kenneth S. Dowd, commander of Fort Bragg's 1st Theater Sustainment Command. Not a one-time hero, Roberts also has two Silver Stars, the third-highest award for valor.

"It has been a great honor and privilege that Col. Roberts has stood in our ranks," Dowd said. Roberts is "a humble man" who "sees himself no differently than any other soldier."

He is a remarkable individual, and one that other soldiers can look up to, as he is retiring after a long time in the service. What I find remarkable is that he is wearing the Legion of Merit, grade of Chief Commander. This is normally tendered to foreign heads of state and awards of the Legion of Merit to Americans must be made in the lowest degree. The informal attachment to the pocket flap indicates that it was presented at the retirement parade. Perhaps he will be given the proper medal later on.

He is a remarkable individual, and one that other soldiers can look up to, as he is retiring after a long time in the service. What I find remarkable is that he is wearing the Legion of Merit, grade of Chief Commander. This is normally tendered to foreign heads of state and awards of the Legion of Merit to Americans must be made in the lowest degree. The informal attachment to the pocket flap indicates that it was presented at the retirement parade. Perhaps he will be given the proper medal later on.

I too was struck by the grade of the Legion of Merit on his uniform. I agree that it looks "recently hung". I will state that there is precedence for a US soldier receiving a grade higher than the lowest. Given the remarkable career of this officer, I am led to speculate that this award was made as an exception based on his exceptional status. I can not prove this as I have no access to his award document or orders however - I find it hard to imagine that - given the event, location (Ft. Bragg) and involvement of a general officer - an error was made and that a "take back and exchange" would be planned or happen.

A Legion of Merit is the "normal retirement award" for an officer in the grade of colonel. I would posit that the rationale was to "bump it up" - not to the DSM but to the remarkable award shown.

Again - just speculation on my part.

Any insiders out there who can shed more light of this?