News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all. I wonder if I could get some help with this badge. It came in a grouping in a local museum. The grouping is supposedly to a pilot who was shot down near American lines during the Argonne. The group contains many items, including this badge. The group has been together since the late sixties--(so the story goes)

I have my own thoughts about this badge, but I wanted several other opinions before I let the owner know my thoughts. Photos to follow:

Back and makers mark. The mark is, as far as I can read :

"Werner & Soehne" -- now this is either a maker I have not heard of (which is possible) or someone misspelled SOHNE. I have my opinion

Edited by Chris Liontas

Hi all. I wonder if I could get some help with this badge. It came in a grouping in a local museum. The grouping is supposedly to a pilot who was shot down near American lines during the Argonne. The group contains many items, including this badge. The group has been together since the late sixties--(so the story goes)

I have my own thoughts about this badge, but I wanted several other opinions before I let the owner know my thoughts. Photos to follow:

Hmmm...I'll venture an opinion. I don't think the badge is period. It may be, literally, a museum copy. Made for the museum to go with the grouping.

Can you show us the other items in the group? Maybe in the sixties when they assembled this exhibit for the museum the pilot group was missing the badge and the curators bought it to fill in

Maybe when my new Imperial Sky book arrives I will see if this variant badge is mentioned.

Edited by Claudius

i know this type of badges. An observer badge same type is presented in the new book Imperial Sky.

IMO this is types of badges are not issued but possible later replace pieces.

Never seen a stamped one.

I have some doubts about this badge but i can not make any final judgment regarding this badge with this pictures.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914