News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Barth photos contain just one FJ-related image: a relative after getting the EKII at Korinth. The rest are family and Flak-related photos. I suppose he didn't have time to take photos after his transfer. They must have been able to hear Patton's artillery as they did their last drop over the Dreux DZ that July! That

said, some of his photos are wonderful if you're interested in heavy flak units.

I would hazard a quick guess that the FP Nr you're asking about probably relates to the hospital in Prague. It's hard to read but I'm working on it.

IPB Image

This page is nice because you have the entry for the Fallschirmsch?tzen-Abzeichen with the date of award given as 10.6.1944 as well as the Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber on 20.11.1944. So even though Horn came late to the airborne, he was jump-trained, which is a bonus. We know he was, of course, because of the photo but it's nice to have it in the paybook. The entry actually looks as if it has been authorised with the Prague hospital stamp, which would suggest that his paybook was not fully up to date when he was wounded and evacuated.

IPB Image

The entry for the VWA in Gold is on the slip added by Page 21, along with details of pay he received whilst in hospital. He was moved from Reserve-Lazaret I Prag to Reserve-Lazaret VI Prag and was paid there up to 28.2.1945. He was given three weeks' home leave from 30.11.1944 to, it looks like, 11.12.1944. He reported to 1./Fallschirmj?ger-Ersatz-Bataillon on 22.2.1945, which I think was stationed at Aschersleben and was the depot unit for I. Fallschirm-Korps. Mind you, the stamp doesn't specify which Parachute Replacement Battalion Horn was sent to. But he was certainly back in uniform and looking none-too-happy, as the paybook photo shows.

PK

Theory:

IPB Image

This starts to make more sense now that we have looked at some more pages of the paybook. The medical officer who filled this document out on 23.12.1944 might have been referring to Horn's new unit or, at least, the unit to which he was earmarked to be transferred once deemed fit enough. Perhaps Horn ended the war with Fallschirmj?ger-Rgt 15 or, rather, the new FJR 15, the original regiment having been destroyed in France. It still doesn't explain the reference to 3. FJD but that is probably just a mistake.

FJR 15 was part of 5. FJD, which had reformed in Holland in October and November 1944. Following the Ardennes offensive, a large part of the division was captured in the N?rnburgring area in March 1945 and the remainder surrendered in the Ruhr Pocket and the Harz mountains. Given that the Germans were hurling just about everyone who could walk or hop into the frontlines by then, it is likely that Horn went into the bag at one of these points, probably into British custody, because he was later re-hospitalised in the British Zone, at G?tersloh.

PK

PK many thanks for the information, certainly what Im looking at now makes a lot more sense, I got a fairly comprehensive description with the group but you are helping to put more of it together for me :beer:

• 4 weeks later...