News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

indo persian dagger

erichjr

Hi Eric,

An interesting piece with the look of age. If it is a tourist item I would think it is indeed a very good one,

One of the things that is instantly evident is that is looks to be complete, that is to say it has no missing parts such as the hand guard. Considering the point has been lost due to what one would have to assume as years of wear I'm somewhat surprise to see the hand guard intact.

That's not to condem this specimen to the reproduction "file" as quite often an intact genuine artifact draws suspicion from the sceptics. I looks to me like the lines along the blade, which I would assume to be "fold" lines left from the forging of the weapon have been added after it was forged as decoration. Again that is not to say this is not an original or even a very old tourist item.

I suppose I could have summed this up in one sentence by saying "I don't really know" :blush:

It would be nice to have it in hand to look at it more closely but that is impossible so we'll have to hope another member has more information on this artifact.

Bottom line: I like it, regardless of its origins.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian

Erichjr - I am attaching a page from Lyles Official Arms and Armour Review for 1983. Your dagger is named - however, these

are better quality then your version, which has a wooden grip. After 29 years expect the prices to be a little higher....... Mervyn

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-57406700-1343832845.jpgclick to enlarge

Interesting that the tip is so blunt. I wouldn't assume wear but rather that someone has deliberately blunted it for safety reasons. Can't see a manufacturer hoping to sell such a piece doing it, but maybe one of its owners?

Also, you may notice that the catalogue page refers to a 'swollen tip' on the dagger. Sounds like something one might contract in the wrong sort of sporting house, but in fact it makes the tip resemble a diamond shape in cross section and is meant to burst the rings on chain mail when used in battle.

As Brian says, the fact that there are no bits missing make it a very nice piece! I'd hang onto it as 'probably real' if it were me.

Peter