News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My " first generation dress tunic "

Gents, my example of the fledgeling BW's first model dress tunic....the "Ausgehanzug" a double breasted four row buttoned , two pocket dress tunic for NCO'S mit Portapee and Officers...this example is for an Unteroffizier of the Feldzuegtruppe. Manufactured in November 1957, and looks to be upgraded around mid 1957 with Litzen collar patches and tresse around the shoulder straps, prior to this date U.S. style metal insignia was worn. Regulations I believe specified that this style of tunic was worn by NCO's of the rank of Unteroffizier mit portapee and above, with the addition of "Altgold" piping to the collar...this example is clearly below that rank and has never had such piping attached, which I understand could be hand stiched in place ! so an anomoly ? or a clear disregard for the regulations ? are we are talking in terms of a very short time period in which regulations could of been misunderstood or neglected ? your thoughts Gentlemen.....

Prost ! Steve.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-7645-0-96274500-1343816371.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-7645-0-82528500-1343816394.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-7645-0-81015700-1343816416.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-7645-0-26284200-1343816434.jpg

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post. I tried to do that earlier but for some reason the post didn't take so here I go again. "Regulations, I believe, specified that this style of tunic was worn by NCOs of the rank of Unteroffizier mit portapee and above, with the addition of "Altgold" piping to the collar"

Yes, this is correct.

"this example is clearly below that rank and has never had such piping attached, which I understand was hand stitched in place! (yes it was-I have put pictures of an example from my collection below) so an anomaly ? or a clear disregard for regulations ? are we talking in terms of very short period in which regulations could of been misunderstood or neglected ?"

For your other two questions - in the early days, and often afterwards, there was not a clear understanding of the uniform regulations. While your tunic doesn't seem to fit any specific regulation it looks to me as thought the rank insignia is original to the tunic but only you can tell for sure. As far as I know, there were three sets of regulations issued before the round ended shoulder boards were authorized in 1963. They were; 23 Juli, 1955; 30 Juli 1957; 8 Juni, 1959. This is still to be confirm though. The rank insignia shown on your tunic does not fit any of them. If I can find examples of these rank structures I'll post them here.

Now on to the uniform pictures

Thanks for the information and photographs (nice LW tunic !) the photograph of the collar piping made me look a lot closer at mine...my eyesight is not so good as it once was (Diabetic), and guess what, I had missed some loose threads at the rear and on one side of the collar, I am now convinced that my tunic had the "Altgold" piping originally, sorry for the wrong original diagnosis ! Hope I have not wasted too much of your time.......I have in the past month picked up an Officers (Oberst Lt) version of this tunic and a three row buttoned Affenjacke, enlisted man's version, thankfully they are complete ! I doubt I will be able to replace the missing piping, as an old length of such piping will be almost impossible to find.

Thanks for your help, Prost ! Steve.

Edited by SteveL