News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Terry;

The ribbon bar aside, there is so much else going on with these photos. Right from the start there is the fact you have two of them. One is a full body pose that shows the period gloves, riding pants and boots. The other one is a great close up. Together they show the different headgear a Hussar would own and, I dare say, his preference for smoking when being photographed.

The TMW does not appear to be the standard issue Turkish-made star, but is a really nicely made jeweler piece! Look at the glare coming off of it. Just pinned it on? Also, I would like to see more of his watch and his ring. What kind is it? What is the motif on the ring? Is there anything to discover there?

The ribbon bar was put together and proudly worn, possibly before a medalbar could be made of his awards. The dark coloring makes it hard to make out the ribbon’s hue and shading and what they would likely be. Position #1 is of courses an EK2. When the photo was taken there wasn't an EK1 award (yet!?)

Thank you Terry for the close up.

Half of the watch showing and very grainy too but I think I can make out some details. Notice how the crystal is circular, but the housing is a rounded square. Very distinctive. The center where the hands rotate is black. The 1-12 numbers around the face are completely indistinct and look like smudges along with the bare visual remnants of the second hand in the six-o’clock position.

I think it’s a Longines Swiss made watch circa 1911, maybe a little later. I found a similar watch online to see the similarities.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ww1+wrist+watch&view=detail&id=164255AE831F41A1C9B551A3765AA048DB205AA7&first=730

This example however has thin, filled-in numbers. Other versions had larger, outlined numbers 1-12. Longines also made the better known, larger trench watch, but this is obviously a different model than those wartime pieces.

The ring looks intricate and detailed.

So, what could this mean? The gent has an expensive ring, a jeweler’s copy TWM, a pre-war Swiss watch and a uniform and kit in perfect condition, right down to boots with no scuffs, suggests that he comes from a wealthy family. The photos are likely sent to family back home.