News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

group of ww2 medals plus dog tags help needed to trace number

Hello Gents,

I have put research into the ww1 trio in my recent post on the back burner for now...I have today purchased a group of four ww2 medals in lovely condition, war medal, defence medal, burma star and 1939-1945 star, along with transmittal slip from Army Council and wax packets. Also included is a pair of dog tags....now despite trying to find info on ancestry.co.uk ,(it is the only one I am subscribed to pay for), I cant find him...his details on the tags are:- 3911024 D CHARLES...regards chris

Hi Michael...that is very interseting as there is a couple of south wales borders cap badges too, I purchased a job lot in auction...had some ww1 medals too for an unrelated person in welsh regiment along with his dog tags and badges . As it was a job lot of bits and bobs including some stamps and coins I had not connected the ww2 medals and the cap badges...

thanks chris

Good idea :speechless::rolleyes: ....why didn't I think of that......the WW1 medals are as follows 17351 private H.J.Morgans Welsh Regiment. I have the 1915 star and B.W.M...(although the latter is missing suspender and is not in fantastic shape :( ). He has two MIC one as Morgan one as Morgans...the B.W.M has morgans the star morgan. I have his dog tags for 14th welsh and cap badge..Unfortunatly his victory medal is missing......It would be great if these two setts of medals were "related"....the auctioneers I go to do a lot of house clearance and as these were in a lot together it is pretty safe to say they came from the same owner although the ww2 medals are mint and the ww1 medals look like they have been through a war zone....Chris

Chris,

If you post the name/number for the first war medals you never know what relationship might appear between the two men.

Fortunately there is no D. Charles on the 6 SWB roll for the GSM bar S.E. Asia 1945-46.

Michael

This maybe because he was transferred to another regiment, while in theatre. During WWII transfers between units appear to be much more frequent and unlike the Great War, where your number changed on transfer, this did not happen with your number in WWII - your number went with you, no matter who you served with. Therefore in this case only a 'record's' check will help, sadly this only applies to 'blood' relatives and not general enquirers.

Hello Gents, Thank you again for the information....the ww2 set now sold to a collector...but I have just aquirred 12 ww1 victory medals all for The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.. the dealer I bought them off has a large quantity of R.WAR.R ww1 medals ..pairs and singles all from one [rivate collection so many may not have been on the market for some time...chris

chrisburr - I am a little disturbed that both of the medal groups you acquired - and with which Members supplied

a lot of information - have both been immediately sold.

We are only too pleased to assist our members - and many of the membership enjoy doing research - but for

serious collectors. Unless someone specifically asks to see your 11 Victory medals I think you should try doing

a little research.