News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hussar Pelisse - French?

erikscollectables

Some time ago I received this Hussar Pelisse - I collect Austro-Hungarian items and the person thought this was a Hungarian Hussar item. Well I am sure it is not Austro-Hungarian but I am not sure where it does come from.

My thoughts went to France.

So please who can help me with the origin of this jacket.

In style I would guess early World War 1?

To a rank below officer.

Some buttons are marked Houquet Michenet Paris and seem to be either silver or silverplated

Best regards, Erik

IMG_0079_zpsde0f3b11.jpg

IMG_0081_zpsfed26bc7.jpg

Edited by erikscollectables

Hello Eric,

You are right : pre-WW1 French hussard NCO's walking-out jacket.... possibly "improved". The silver chevron on the lower part of each sleeve is for a "marechal-des-logis" i.e. sergeant.

Very nice and spectacular piece of uniform

Congratulation

Veteran

Hello Veteran,

Many thanks for the info!

What are the "improvements" you see?

I am not sure if it is ok to talk value here - if not please delete this post - but could you give an indication of it's value?

Condition is so/so but lower ranks items from that period are hardly ever very good in my experience :)

Regards, Erik

Hello Eric

I cannot be precise as to why I have this feeling, Possibly its very light blue colour and the fact it is a "pelisse" restricted to cavalry officers' wear and was not supposed to bear rank insignia .Rather more like a cold weather short coat to be worn over the uniform jacket.

I do have a good reference book which shows a picture of an Hussard officer wearing a more elaborate one in 1895. It is very much like yours.

My knowledge of uniform values amounts to nothing.... I am a medal collector. But since you asked and I thought I could help, I just answered your post.

Best regards

Veteran

I believe these were worn by all "light cavalry" (Chasseur e Cheval, Hussard, Chasseur d'Afrique). I am confused by this one though. They were definitely officer only attire. Regardless of rank, rank insignia were never worn on the pelisse. The silver(?) cord around the collar is also odd. No doubt this is period, just a bit of a mystery.

The silver cord around the neck is normal in Hungarian Hussar pelisses of which I know a bit more.

That way the jacket could be worn as a sort of cape on one shoulder and the the cord has at the end a loop that can be opened, it has a special button for that as well. With the Hungarian versions no rank insignia were worn either but the lacing on the back would give the rank away. In this case it would be a 2nd lieutenant in Hungary but as said it defintely has nothing to do with Hungary :)

The silver cord around the neck is normal in Hungarian Hussar pelisses of which I know a bit more.

That way the jacket could be worn as a sort of cape on one shoulder and the the cord has at the end a loop that can be opened, it has a special button for that as well. With the Hungarian versions no rank insignia were worn either but the lacing on the back would give the rank away. In this case it would be a 2nd lieutenant in Hungary but as said it defintely has nothing to do with Hungary :)

This may well be an interesting custom-made unofficial pelisse for a French hussard NCO. Were they tolerated (?) or worn "privately" ?:

The unusual features are :

Less fur linings than officers' pelisses. The back part is far less ornate. The rank chevron should never be. The lace on the collar which would have been used to wear on one shoulder Hungarian style, a practice officially barred to French cavalry officers since the end of the Second Empire (1870)

Obviously not an official issue, was it produced by a good Paris military taylor who was used to making officers' pelisses and would have "adapted" their pattern to "fit" a request from NCOs ?

I confirm ralstona's information : all light cavalry officers - and them only - could wear a pelisse,

Regards

Veteran