News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seeking Help

Gentlemen,

I have recemtly aquired a "Kukri" and, engraved on the blade is the following inscription - "Capt. K. E. Goddard 1936". I have discovered the following info regarding Cpt. Goddard but I am confused in that it appears that he died in 1934 yet the date on the blade is 1936?

Despite an extensive search I can find no other information regarding this man - I wondered if any others on the site could help either with further background on the chap himself or any explanation as to the differing dates.

Many thanks for your help

Fabwab

KENNETH GODDARD

Captain 4/7 Rajput Regiment seconded Burma Military Police

Died of enteric fever at Mandalay, Burma 31 October 1934

USC & ISC 1909.3 - 1917.3 Son of A. C. Goddard, Worcestershire Born 5 March 1900 4/7 Rajput Regiment 1918, NW Frontier 1919 - 1924, Captain 1924 NW Frontier 1930 - 1931 Seconded Burma Military Police 1931

Engraved Kukris were a common retirement gift to officers serving with Gurkha troops, of whom there were quite a number in the BMP. In fact, Gurkhas and Indians outnumbered Burmese for most of its history. So, that's the reason he had a kukri with his name on it.

The dating question is trickier but my first thought would be 'A mistake was made.", either on the blade itself - probably created in country by someone only somewhat familiar with Arabic numerals - or in the paper work.

No K E Goddard shows up in a quick scan of the London Gazette for the 1930s, though that source has a notoriously unreliable on-line search function, but perhaps some member will have a late '30s Indian Army list and can shed some light on it. Or was that your source for the original info.?

Peter

Gents,

Many thanks for your help and advice, my efforts have not turned up anu new clues as to the difference in dates, I expect that they will remain a mystery

Regards

Fabwab