News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Order of the Crown

Hi all, I've been collecting over a period, the Order of the Crown, collection is slowly growing. My problem was obtaining period ribbons for those without any, not quite that easy, so in the end I decided to use modern replacements, not perfect but acceptible to me.

The two in question are the Grand Cross sash ribbon and the Commander ribbon. The sash is a full length version as is the commanders, complete with neck ties, I admit they were not particularly cheap, but in the end to me, better to have one them not. Also indicated is a 2nd type with ribbon and rossette, which ribbon is that, any info appreciated

regards

Alex K

• 3 months later...
    Hi Carol I, sorry for the delay but thankyou for your information, would this be a normal combination, the ribbon seems authentic to the award?

regards

Alex K

Yes it is and it does. The Military Virtue ribbon has been introduced for the Romanian orders with swords during WWI as a sign marking bravery in front of the enemy. It was thus meant to distiguish frontline distinctions from general war service ones. The award has been maintained during WWII as well and you have a copy of the latter. Please take a look here for another copy of the WWII award.

Hi Carol I and Megan, thanks for the info. I agree, the link you posted is interesting. Megan you mention that the ribbon is a frontline distinction award, assuming it wasn't "Frontine", would it have been awarded in the same format but with a different ribbon?

regards

Alex K

Edit, just spotted the answer on the link you posted!!

Edit 2

Looking at the link posted, the Order of the Romanian star is listed, example shown, I have an example which appears to differ to those posted, the quality and authenticity of both the award and ribbon appear to be totally authentic, whist differing from the norm. Did this varient exist?

regards

attached a close-up of the hallmarks on the reverse

Edited by Alex K

Looking at the link posted, the Order of the Romanian star is listed, example shown, I have an example which appears to differ to those posted, the quality and authenticity of both the award and ribbon appear to be totally authentic, whist differing from the norm. Did this varient exist?

regards

attached a close-up of the hallmarks on the reverse

What you have is a peacetime military version of the Type I of the order. The crossed swords above the cross indicate the peacetime military version and the design and ribbon indicates Type I in use between (1864)-1877 and 1932.

I cannot make out the full details of the hallmark, but it does not appear Romanian.

Hi Carol I, so can I assume that the award may well have been manufactured in another country, hallmarked and then "exported" to Romania for award? or awarded for those "In exile"?

Many thanks

Alex K

I will try to scan in a closer more clearer image of the hallmarks but I admit it is not easy, if I do, then I will post

Edited by Alex K

Hi Carol I, so can I assume that the award may well have been manufactured in another country, hallmarked and then "exported" to Romania for award? or awarded for those "In exile"?

Many of the early Romanian orders have been manufactured by French, Austrian or German jewellers, so it is not unusual for them to carry foreign hallmarks.

LE: I have taken a fresh look at the image of the hallmark and I think I can see "Diana's head" and "A", thus indicating a Vienese jeweller.

Edited by Carol I