News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is This WW1 item Please?

Maybe someone can give me an indication of what this item is please?

You can see the make's name R J Hopgood, the date 1916 and the Defence Arrow.

I picked it up this weekend at a local Antique Fair here in Australia along with a very nice Leather pouch which is also dated and maker named

Classic example of a gallywhacker. Carried by the Bombay Underwater Sappers and Miners and the King's Own Royal Deserters for fighting off giant squid and Ring Necked Parrots. ;)

Seriously, Kevin, please do let us know what you find out. Some kind of sighting device perhaps?

Guest pikemedals

hi i know that r.j hopgood made compasses in ww1 for the war office.try google r j hopgood you may find something. all the best on this one !. any way it a good find you got lionheart. may i ask how much it cost you.i do know that r j hopgood compasses do come in a leather pouch

Pike, I paid $130 Australian for this item but was particularly impressed with the Maker's name, date and the defence arrow of course along with the very nice leather pouch. I have searched relatively extensively R J Hopgood and they certainly made sights and compasses for sure but I cannot locate this actual item and the seller had no idea either.

Thanks for your input.

B-107 LOT OF TWO ENGINEER'S SIGHTING TOOLS. R. J. Hopgood. London. Inclinometer with leather case. Brass and near new. And a hand level with the inclinometer dial on the side. Magnifier for ease of reading. Brass. Good+ 125 - 250

https://www.finetoolj.com/ftj.php/auction/view/59/2

Response from the GWF same as Pike above.

Kevin in Deva.